How about turtles? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

How about turtles?

I was thinking of getting a small turtle - can someone educate me on them? LOL Are they good pets, easy to care for? I have a 10-gallon tank (in addition to the other one).

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Turtles for Dummies is a great book, they desrcibe all the needs for all tutrtles. I think that ten gallon tanks are a bit small for turtles, but I'm no expert. Good luck on your quest.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:15 PM

Christi,

I started doing my research on turtles a while ago, and shelved the idea until I have more time and money. Turtles are great pets BUT to be properly cared for they need a big tank.....Ravnos gave me a lot of great advice on requirements, but at this point my brain cannot remember much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:34 PM

i have a turtle, used to have a red-eared slider. they are great pets, as long as you take good care of them. one major rule that i had was clenliness. i cleaned his tank out once a month. also, a twenty gallon tank was what he lived in. he would need to upgrade to a bigger tank in a few years. i feed them commercial turtle pellets, freeze dried shrimp, that you can buy at local pet stores. you will need a sunbasking area with a lamp, a heater, unless you live in a warm place, as well as a u-v lamp. I do not know how well turtle get along with children, but you must watch your children with the turtles, they are pets not toys. if you have any questions, you can pm me, or e-mail me at [email protected]!!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Fertile Myrtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse_chic89
but you must watch your children with the turtles, they are pets not toys.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Herp Nerd

You're not going to find a species of turtle that will be able to live its entire life in a 10 gallon tank. The commonly available species of mud and musk turtles top out around four inches, as does the southern painted turtle. They could do ok in a 20 gallon, but that is pushing it. There are several other species of painted turtle, sliders, and cooters which are all very similar in look, but grow much too large for most aquarium setups and eventually will need a decent sized pond. Unfortunately, those are the species most commonly sold in pet stores. Especially uneducated stores, like Petco. They are also the most commonly dumped turtles, as few people want to maintain a 100 gallons of tank for their pet.

Looking into a land turtle, a box turtle can do ok in a 20 gallon long or even a russian or greek tortoise. They too are smaller sized and can do ok in 30 gallons or so.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 09:18 AM

i'm not saying that they are bad with kids, i really don't know for sure, but i know one thing is that they are very fun to watch. the one i have now loves to play with her ping-pong ball. the swats at it and bumps it with her nose. she also loves to sun bathe, whic is fun to watch also.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 09:37 AM

Thanks Rav, good info.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 06:02 PM

I am no master at turtels (I leave that to my brother) But i think a 10 gallon tank is a little small. Well if the turtle doesnt get along with Ry you can alway put him in a lake!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Herp Nerd

Releasing pet turtles (or animals bred for pets of any kind for that matter) has actually caused ecological disasters in many places. Red-eared sliders, painted turtles, and the like are now populating areas that they should not be in and are competing with native turtle species for food and habitat. And because the turtles bred for pets are often the more hardy species that breed readily/easily - they can quickly overpopulate and drive out a native species. This is also happening with pythons, monitor lizards, tree frogs all over the US... many other species that people bought as pets and figured they'd just release it.

Then there is also the problem of pathogens. Many diseases and parasites exist in captive species that do not exist in wild populations. Releasing a turtle, even one that may seem perfectly healthy, could spread a disease unknown to an area to the native species and do serious damage to the population.

In short, animals bought from pet stores, bred for the purpose of being a pet, or captured from the wild and kept in captivity for any length of time should -never- be released to the wild. In fact, it is illegal to do so in many states unless you are a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and follow very strict procedures of minimal human contact and quarantine.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.

Tags
bigger tank, box turtle, eared slider, eared sliders, local pet store, pet store, pet stores, tree frog