How badly did I mess up?! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Unhappy How badly did I mess up?!

So, I am not having a good night.

I got around to cleaning Squishy's tank tonight, so I hooked up my nifty siphon that attaches to the sink. I usually turn on the water to get the suction going, and shut it off afterwards. I asked my sister to shut the water off for me, but instead she flipped the switch that sends water from the faucet back into the tank. So after a few seconds of wondering why it wasn't vacuuming things very well, I realized that 100-ish degree untreated water was flowing back into my tank. I shut off the water, ran downstairs and filled a bucket with cool water, and plopped poor Squishy in it before the water in his tank could hurt him. I poured a couple splashes of water conditioner in my tank too. Luckily I have my siphon hooked to my shower which has a filter in it, so hopefully the chlorine levels were low enough that they didn't totally wipe out all the bacteria and stuff in my tank.

Squishy wasn't very happy and he managed to make a mini escape attempt while I was trying to put him back in his tank (Apparently her perfected his carpet-scooting method during his last escape... He can move pretty fast!) but he seems OK now. He is singing and acting perfectly happy.

Should I go get some Safe Start or Cycle to add to my tank tomorrow?? I'm worried that I totally ruined it.

I just managed to spill some near-boiling red tea all over my leg and my carpeting too, so I should probably go to sleep before anything worse happens. What a lovely night, hmm?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2012, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hopefully Squishy is ok. I know next to nothing about caring for fish.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

He is doing fine, he doesn't seem bothered at all... I'm lucky that ACF are very forgiving!

I did buy some Cycle that I added to the tank. It is probably a good idea to have anyway, since I have to clean out my filter so thoroughly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I wouldn't worry about it, ACFs are pretty hardy and I don't think you would have killed all of your bacteria so easily . I'm sure some died, yeah, but the tank is well established and the population will recover. Just watch your water parameters.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, thank you! That's reassuring.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds like nothing wrong damaged done at all, your Squishy is very lucky.

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!