how to prepare for and buy mudskippers? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

how to prepare for and buy mudskippers?

Ok. so I know they need more land than water, sand, stuff to float on, ect. What i dont know is how to keep the tank warm, and how to make the water correct. Also where is a good place to buy them? preferably online. I am looking for a more exotic kind, like the blue spotted kind. so if anyone could give me information and pictures of tanks, where to buy, and types of mudskippers, it would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Have you kept fish before? If not, read up on aquariums in general, including how to cycle an aquarium. For cycling, here's a good start: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/c...ium-43789.html

You keep the water warm using an aquarium heater, get one that lets you set the exact temperature. I always liked the Stealth heaters.

I don't know if I agree with them needing more land than water, it honestly doesn't seem to matter much as long as they have access to both. Mine was actually kept in a more aquatic environment, with just an "island" and a rock as land areas. The water is technically more important since they need to keep their gills moist.

Also, I hope you're aware that mudskippers are brackish fish. They shouldn't be kept in freshwater. You'll need to buy some MARINE salt mix (Instant Ocean is a good brand) and a hydrometer (to measure specific gravity, allowing you to check the salinity of the tank). The exact salinity doesn't matter too much, you just want some salt in there (and not as much as you'd put in a saltwater aquarium). Read up on brackish aquariums.

Thankfully, mudskippers are VERY hardy in the correct environment. Once they're settled in, they usually eat well and rarely become ill. They can even tolerate ammonia spikes (although I don't recommend counting on that!).

Let me know if you have any questions, I had one for quite a while. He only recently passed on, most likely from old age.

Oh, and as far as buying them online, I don't know of any sites offhand. I got mine locally. Check exotic pet stores, reptile stores, and fish stores.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

i have a plants question. what plants are safe for mudskippers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtoot View Post
i have a plants question. what plants are safe for mudskippers?
Honestly, you'll be hard-pressed to find any plants that can tolerate the salt. That's the curse of brackish aquaria! If the salinity is kept fairly low, java ferns should work . Most plants don't do well in brackish water, though.

I had a couple java ferns with my mudskipper. They didn't die but they didn't grow that well, either. I tried vallisneria, which is supposed to tolerate some salt, and it died.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

haha ok. another question! where can i buy all this stuff?
stuff to check the water
aqua heater
hydrometer
marine slat
gravel vacuum
java ferns
Bio-Spira
and stuff to make the water "salty" for my fish
also a question about filters, this may seem stupid, but how do you have one if the water is at a low level?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Your local pet store/fish store should have all of that. If you can't find the hydrometer and salt mix, try a store that sells marine fish.

There are filters that work fine in small amounts of water but I can't recommend a filter without knowing what size tank you'll be getting. If the water level is really low, you can use an internal one (one that doesn't hang on the side) or maybe even a mini canister (but that would be pricier and probably not needed).

As for the Bio-Spira, it's marketed as "Tetra SafeStart" now . So a store that sells Tetra products is likely to have it.

~Stephanie