Humane euthanasia for Fluffy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Humane euthanasia for Fluffy

What's the best way to humanely euthanize a fish at home? My three year old goldfish, Fluffy, has ripped her back fin off and put a gash into her side... No idea how. She did it within the past hour because I just fed her then and she was fine. She seems to be in a lot of pain. What can I do for her? I put stress coat in the water.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:45 PM

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/archi...p/t-20870.html

I found that on google, it's an old Paw-Talk post discussing humane fish euthanasia. Hopefully it's helpful - I have no experience with this so I can't offer any help.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thank you.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:35 PM

I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is so hard seing your beloved pet suffer.

I can't believe on that other post someone said to throw it on the ground. My beta a few months ago dove out of his bowl and we found him after he did that, and he lived for another hour after that.

Good luck w/whatever you decide to do.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Can you use epsom salt?

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

There was nothing to be done for her. She was belly up at the bottom corner of the tank all night. I opted to use the Alka-Seltzer method. The dosage on the internet is 1 tablet for 20L, though I used three for about one liter just to be sure. They die from carbon dioxide poisoning. She went in about 3 minutes. She's in the freezer to be sure she's gone totally. I stared at her for 5 minutes and she didn't breathe once. This is tough b/c I've had her for three years.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry...thats very hard.I never had to make that descision for a fish and hope I don't have to...it is hard enough with furred animals.Anyway I am sorry once again!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 03:26 PM

I'm sorry for your loss
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:16 PM

I'm so sorry. But you did the right thing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

This year sucks, more specifically this past month. My three year old goldfish died, I have to euthanize three hamsters tomorrow because they all have tumors and are suffering, I just got rid of two of my ferrets and just found out from my landlord I have to get rid of the other one, I have to euthanize two guinea pigs for tumors and find a home for the third... If it's possible for a heart to actually break, I'll find out and let you know if I survive.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 09:30 PM

Awwwe lilchris (or Jenny?) so sorry . I have been through this. I know you are going through a hard time, just to let you know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and things will get better. Many of my pets died in one year because of the man I lived with, I so thought I was going to lose it and break too, but it made me stronger person. For awhile I felt nothing for the pets I had, I was drained of all emotions. But slowly but surely I had the time to heal and able to feel things for animals again and welcome new ones into my life. What does your lease say about pets? I hope your landlord changes his/her mind. Maybe explain to them what you are going through and tell them you are responsible and taking care of this pet and he/she is not destroying your apartment. Maybe you can have the ferret stay at a friends house for a few days so he/she thinks you got rid of it, then when he/she forgets bring your ferret back, and maybe he/she will get off your back.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I tried to talk to them. I told them that Eli is neutered, descented, UTD on all of his shots and has never bitten anyone. Because it's a chain of apartments and not a privately owned place, they said they can't.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I know how hard it is with loosing pets like that!! I have 2 goldfish who are about 5 years old!! Plus a couple that is 3-4 years! I would not know what i would do if they died!! SO sorry ....

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

Tags
guinea pig