I got 5 tetras! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Smile I got 5 tetras!

Well, I added another fishtank to my house. I got two neon tetras and three glo-lite tetras. They are really tiny and I have them all in a 2.5 gallon tank in my room. I was really worried about getting them because I do not have great luck with fish other than bettas. But they are doing great so far. They've been free in the tank for about 15 min and no signs of stress.

I will take pics as soon as I have time. But it's 7:15am right now and I have yet to go to bed!

Wish me luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations on the tetras, look forward to seeing some pictures. I love tetras i have rummy nosed ones in one of my tanks and never had any problem with them so hopefully you won't too

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 11:41 AM

Congrats! Bet your tank looks great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

Thanks, guys!

I cked in there when I woke up (which is now) and they are all still alive. A couple of them look dazed, but I if they were going to die from shock, wouldn't they have died already?

I think they are fine, though. I will keep you updated.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 04:53 PM

Glad to hear it. I'm terrible with fish.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I have neons tetras, I love them! I've had good and bad luck with them. Good luck with yours!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thanks.

one of the glo-lites is a little seperate from the rest and looked a little "floaty" today. but when i got back tonight i cked on them and he's swimming around. so i guess he's just going through a shocked/moving phase. i hope they didn't oust him completely.

i'll keep you updated.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 02:06 AM

Neons are seriously over bred. This means that they are not as hardy as the once were. There is such a HUGE demand on them that the breeders/suppliers have a hard time keeping the lines clean. They are great once they have adjusted, and a beautiful fish. What I have found is there is always one little guy who just doesn't take to the move that well. Then nature starts to play her mean games. Neons, like almost all tetras, are a scholling fish. It gives them strength in the wild. Think of it as safety in numbers. If they are being hunted they will school together then scramble fast so that they can distract their foe, BUT if there is a weak link the school is compromised. The weak link will either slow them down or infect the whole school. So the school will lose or destroy the weak link instead of risking the chance of loseing the whole school. (whole lotta schoools there sorry )
Anyhow, give him as many hideing places as you can (fake plants ect). It is great that you slowed down the filter. Then just give him a few days. Chances are the other fish know more then you do and he's just to weak to make it or he's a little fighter and he will pull through.
Best of luck.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

thank you, odette!

i figured that they know he's weak. i hope he makes it.

should i get another, more gentle filter? can you recommend one? i have a medium sized whisper one in there now (came with tank). the tank is 2.5 gallons. should i get a small one or a different brand?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Wacky Chimpnose

btw...i just cked on them and ALL 5 are hudled together. i think they may have accepted the weaker one. and they look SO much better now that the filter is low. they can control themselves more. i thought that they were just in shock (when fish go in shock and kinda float without control). but i think the filter was sucking them in or something. they look better. i'm going to go take pics now.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
thank you, odette!

i figured that they know he's weak. i hope he makes it.

should i get another, more gentle filter? can you recommend one? i have a medium sized whisper one in there now (came with tank). the tank is 2.5 gallons. should i get a small one or a different brand?
Just stick with the whisper, keep it on low and give them some time to adjust. You already doing all that you can do.

EDIT: K, After seeing your pics, I take this back. Read comment in pic thread.

Last edited by odette; 11-09-2005 at 11:13 AM.

Tags
neon tetras