I got a new betta....(pictures!) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I got a new betta....(pictures!)

So I havent had kept a betta in years! And because petco.com is having a sale on the marineland 5g hex for 29.99 (use google checkout for 10 off 30 purchase) I bought one and brought a little betta grrrrl home!

Princess Leia! Her new dig is set up and running. After getting used to the filter, now she's zipping around and exploring. I wished I could get more plants, but our PetSmart got rid of all theirs and I dont think they're going to be selling any more. So until I can find another place that sells them...it's kind of bare. The one plant I managed to buy at PetSmart before they got rid of them would have to do. So now without further adieu, here she is!

She's a bit hard to capture as she likes to zip around every where! lol

Her snail tank mate, Mister Crabby.

She's checking him out hard core!

Here's her empty looking home with no plants...anyone want to donate some? :bananarock lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Very pretty! You know, I have an awesome petstore where I live and buy all my live plants there. If you wanted I could buy some for you and ship them. I don't know how much shipping would be, though. Thing is, it's winter so it'd be best to do overnight shipping.

Also, I hate to be the one to tell you this but that tank is the most annoying tank ever to clean . I can't even fit my gravel vac in the openning. So I use a turkey baster...luckily it's extremely heavily planted so I don't need to do as many water changes.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

lol yeah i realized that after i got it! lol I really am looking for the whole "jungle look" but right now it's a bit impossible as all our LFS sux and the our PetSmart literally today got rid of ALL their plants.

other than that, that would be an awesome idea...however it is getting to be pretty frigid here in nj also...i dont think plants will fare well...

i guess when I go visit friends in other parts, i'll visit their LFS to see if they have any plants.

do you have java moss by chance? they can survive the cold pretty well.

thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCo Chanel
lol yeah i realized that after i got it! lol I really am looking for the whole "jungle look" but right now it's a bit impossible as all our LFS sux and the our PetSmart literally today got rid of ALL their plants.

other than that, that would be an awesome idea...however it is getting to be pretty frigid here in nj also...i dont think plants will fare well...

i guess when I go visit friends in other parts, i'll visit their LFS to see if they have any plants.

do you have java moss by chance? they can survive the cold pretty well.

thanks so much!
I don't personally have any java moss right now but the store I mentioned occasionally has it. Not on a regular basis, though. They have two tanks with plants and have some really pretty/rare ones. I recently got a really cool plant that has little purple flowers. One of the stalks ended up dying because of CO2...issues . But the rest of the plant is doing great now.

I went with the jungle look on my Eclipse, too. These are pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mi/Pets887.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mi/Pets885.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mi/Pets873.jpg

The tank actually looks a bit different now because I trimmed some plants, some have multiplied more, and I got a couple new ones. I should take a new pic soon. Anyways, I love planted tanks and three out of four of my aquariums are planted. The fourth one will be when I get decent lighting .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

wow that looks great! what fertilizer do you use?

what plants do you have in there?

it's really a jungle!

the platies look great too!

i'm so jealous!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
wow that looks great! what fertilizer do you use?

what plants do you have in there?

it's really a jungle!

the platies look great too!

i'm so jealous!
Thanks!

I use Flora Pride (I think that's what it's called? haha) as fertilizer but not on a regular basis. I have a ton of water sprite and anacharis plus a few plants that I sadly don't know the names of. One plant (which you can't see in the pics anyways) has leaves that remind me of spinach so I call it "the spinach plant" . Apparently my fish took that name a bit too seriously and ate one of them and munched on the leaves of the bigger one. One of my other plants is most likely creeping jenny...I don't know if you can see that one in the pictures considering it blends in, hehe. It's way taller now and hard to miss. I had Cabomba until my platies ate it...that's one my favorite plants, too . Luckily I have some in a different tank.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:16 AM
RAT ADDICT

Awwww...she is a pretty little girl!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:57 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I have the exact same tank and finally we (mainly James) emptied all the water from the tank and restarted because it was turning yellow! I will be more vigilant cleaning it though I cleaned it once a week... Anyway your betta is very pretty

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Title Thief Victim

Wow shes a cute fish! nice name to. Thanks for sharing

Carissasaurus Rex

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 03:39 PM

Pretty! I love the aquarium too ^_^
Mr.Crabby is a hermie crab? I LOVE hermit crabs
I don't have an aquatic one though .
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Pretty! I love the aquarium too ^_^
Mr.Crabby is a hermie crab? I LOVE hermit crabs
I don't have an aquatic one though .
I believe it says in her post that it's a snail . Hehe.

Aquatic hermit crabs need saltwater set-ups.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:56 PM

Talking

Quote:
Her snail tank mate, Mister Crabby.
You are correct,I must be going blind

I want a saltwater setup someday....thats like
sometime in the future though,as I'm just getting into aquariums.As in "into" them.
Awws,there are freshwater crabs though,like "fiddler" for instance.(not an hermit crab btw)
Good luck trying to keep them with fish ,BUT they can be kept with Anoles, fire-belly toads, newts,& dwarf African frogs... http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,...er%20Crabs.htm
I can see myself investing in them someday

Last edited by candyraver; 12-09-2006 at 06:01 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
You are correct,I must be going blind

I want a saltwater setup someday....thats like
sometime in the future though,as I'm just getting into aquariums.As in "into" them.
Awws,there are freshwater crabs though,like "fiddler" for instance.(not an hermit crab btw)
Good luck trying to keep them with fish ,BUT they can be kept with Anoles, fire-belly toads, newts,& dwarf African frogs... http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,...er%20Crabs.htm
I can see myself investing in them someday
There a few freshwater crab species but they are rarely available in the pet trade. Sadly, most of the "freshwater" crabs sold are actually brackish and require some salt in their water . Fiddlers are a good example.

Brackish tanks are kind of like between fresh and saltwater set-ups. It's basically a freshwater aquarium with saltwater added and most people use a sand substrate. I was interested in setting one up but decided to go straight to reefs.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 09:15 PM
RAT ADDICT

I wanted fiddler crabs,then did the research and found out they are not freshwater,as Stephanie said,they are brackish and require some salt.Pet stores sell them as "freshwater" animals,unfortunatly and having them live in freshwater can actually shorten their lifespan.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
I wanted fiddler crabs,then did the research and found out they are not freshwater,as Stephanie said,they are brackish and require some salt.Pet stores sell them as "freshwater" animals,unfortunatly and having them live in freshwater can actually shorten their lifespan.
Yeah, they only can live a few months in freshwater .

I think one day I'd like to have a pair, though. And maybe some mollies and bumblebee gobies which are also brackish.

~Stephanie

Tags
hermit crab, hermit crabs, pet store, pet stores, pet trade