I saved a fish! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Talking I saved a fish!

I want to a carnival, and I saw that they had like 10 dead goldfish. felt bad for them, so I took the four that were alive, and took them inside. I made a little rescue. I had applications, and found good, caring homes for all of them! I took the last one home for myself, and named his Isis, after a life-giving godness. He's a miracle, for sure.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations, glad the fishies found a good home Thats the thing that disgusts me about fairs and carnivals the fact that they still are giving away goldfish as prizes. A lot of people don't realise how bigger tank these guys need as they grow all their life and can get huge and also can get to the age of 30 quite easily if looked after correctly yet they still give them away as prizes

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

30? Even I didn't know that. Wow! Anyways, I feel the same way exactly. Thanks!

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 07:45 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygirl109
30? Even I didn't know that. Wow! Anyways, I feel the same way exactly. Thanks!
Yes it shocked me at first especially as at the time i had just brought two baby fancy goldfish and to think i could still have them in 30 years time Its all about how they are looked after and if they have the right sized tank and good food and water quality you can easily get them to 20 years plus apparently. I know my aunties goldfish where around 18 years old when they died so shouldn't surprise me really

Kirsty

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:08 AM

I think they banned goldfish as prizes in UK now havent they?
I remember when I was younger I got a goldfish from the fair and he grew huge and lived for about 10 years.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_smurtles
I remember when I was younger I got a goldfish from the fair and he grew huge and lived for about 10 years.
Nope you can still get them saw some not that long ago and i was shocked as i thought too that it would have been banned by now

Kirsty

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Paw Talk's prodicle son .

I remember getting a gold fish from a Fun fair when I was much younger, I loved this fishie and I put it in a tank and called it patch.

And two days later it was Dead, It realy is out of order why do they still have Goldfish as prizes at some Fair stands its just not on.

I dont like fun fairs anyway im too serious, I was terrified of the rides even when I was younger.

= ^ _ ^ =

* sings *

He's in the Jailhouse now , he's in the Jailhouse now , well I told him once or twice .

To stop chewing wood and Pooping nice , he's in the jailhouse now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:10 PM

Just been looking on the internet and in 2003 they wanted it to be banned but looks like it never got that far unless anyone knows different?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toky-Ohki
I remember getting a gold fish from a Fun fair when I was much younger, I loved this fishie and I put it in a tank and called it patch.

And two days later it was Dead, It realy is out of order why do they still have Goldfish as prizes at some Fair stands its just not on.

I dont like fun fairs anyway im too serious, I was terrified of the rides even when I was younger.

= ^ _ ^ =
I'm with you i don't really like rides especially those that go upside down call me a scardy cat but i think my feet belong on terra firma Not even keen on the log flume as don't like getting wet and been put of for life since going on the one at Drayton Manor no one told me it went backwards, never been so scared in all my life

The reason why these fish don't live very long or a lot die in the bags or just after you get them is because the water they are in is high in waste products and not doing them any good so you can imagine what living in your own waste would be like also they will experience shunted growth through being kept in too small conditions which is really sad So its about time golfish as prizes at fairs were banned aswell as local fish stores selling them to people with bowls as that makes me mad too

Quote:
Just been looking on the internet and in 2003 they wanted it to be banned but looks like it never got that far unless anyone knows different?
I don't think its been banned as i think it was only last year i saw some at a fair and remember researching it and they wasn't banned then but its about time they was

Kirsty

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:

Wow! I had no idea. My tank is really not that big. I don't want to rehome him, so I'll have to use my spending money on a bigger tank.

I'm thrilled it was banned in the UK.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Your not on your own i didn't either when my local fish store sold me a small tank for my two new fish and then a year later i was buying a huge tank for the pair of them. Your fish should be ok for a while aslong as you got food filtration and do a 30% partial water change twice a week he should be fine for quite a while

Kirsty

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2005, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I do have a filter, and I change once a week. Is that okay?

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Just keep an eye on your stats such as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels they will tell you best how often to clean out your tank. Once a week might be enough for you with it only being one fish i have two very messy little fishies which i seem to spend my life cleaning out Glad the fishy has found a great home

Kirsty

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Aw, thanks. :hugs:

Tags
bigger tank, gold fish, local fish store