i wonder... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i wonder...

hypothetically speaking here.. could you put fish in an inground pool? and still swim in it?

we went looking at houses again last week, and one house we looked at, i think it was 150-170,000 somewhere in there.. alot more than we were wanting to spend on a house here, but with davids new job we were thinking about it.. anyway.. one of the houses we looked at had an inground pool, it wasnt huge, but pretty big, the realtor said she thinks its 7ft but she wasnt sure.. tonight me and david were talking about how neat it would be to have a pool (even tho neither of us are big swimmers) but i didnt like how it was basicly right outside the back door (well theres a deck and stuff).. and to take allie outside we would have to take her out the back door and walk to the side of the house.. it wouldnt work well.. anyway i mentioned having a pool especially an outdoor pool means maintence.. david said he saw something on tv about turning pools into saltwater for less maintence.. and ofcourse me always with animals on my mind, saltwater made me think of fish.. thought how cool it would be to have fish in the pool, and be able to swim with them. just some koi would be cool, think of how big they would get.. in reality im not sure well it would work.. but the thought is cool..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

I know that you can steralize a pool with salt now, instead of chlorine. HOWEVER, I don't know if you can put fish in there. There are drains and suctions and all that. So unless you basically built a pond/lake, probably not.

Neat idea, though! I've thought about it, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 02:38 PM
RAT ADDICT

That would be a neat idea,but I also do not think it could be done...who knows,maybe it could...but as Jane said there are drains and whatnot! You wouldn't want a fishy getting stuck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 PM

It would be like swimming in a pond or lake.

I don't know if it can be done, but it is a neat thought.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

You could always put candy fish in there and swim around with them. Then you can dive for them and eat them! Hahahaha!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Curmudgeon

It wouldn't be safe in the long run. The types of filtration/sterilizations used for swimming pool water are different from what's used for fish tanks. There would be no way to regulate bacteria populations, like E. coli, that would be safe for the fish. It might be feasible if you rarely ever swam with the fish, but if you used it as a pool, it would not be suitable for either you or the fish.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

sorry, i havent been back to this thread.. ive found a few sites about turning an existing pool into a pond, i dont think you would actually want to swim in any of them.. but its a wonderful thought.

heres my fav one. Erik's Swimming Pool to Koi Pond Conversion

My Furry Family

Tags
fish tank