ich - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question ich

ok, so, I bought fish two weeks ago and I had them in a qaurantine tank to make sure they were healthy before i added them to my tank. I just recently put them in the tank and i noticed a couple days later that one of them had white spots on its tail. I think it may be ich but im not sure what might have brought it on because I acclimated them to my water. Should I test the water and quarantine the sick fish and do a water change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Ich is almost always present in aquariums but shows up when a fish has a compromised immune system (stress, poor water quality, other illness, etc.). So most likely there's something wrong with your water (you should have actually tested it before adding the fish, just in case) or the fish is just stressed from the move.

Test your water asap (and post back with the numbers) and do a water change. If it persists, you can add a small amount of aquarium salt and raise the water temperature (while performing daily water changes/gravel vacuuming). Don't medicate, that's a mistake that a lot of people make. It's very, very rare that you'll need to actually medicate for Ich.

It would also help if you could give more detail on your set-up . What size aquarium is this and what fish are living there? What kind of equipment do you have? How long has the tank been running?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

It's a 29 gal. tank that has been running for a little bit over 2 years now. My equipment is the basic stuff needed for tanks, heater, water filter, air system, lighting, gravel, plants. The fish in it are, tetras, mollies, platys, guppys, cherry barbs, and a frog.

The number are:
pH- 7.6
high range pH- 8.2
ammonia- 0 ppm
Nitrate- 5.0
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

"Basic stuff" doesn't say much, just so you know . What may be basic to you might not be basic to me, etc.

Anyways, you shouldn't have two numbers for pH. Is 7.6 the highest that the one kit reads up to? If your pH really is 8.2, that's extremely high (though I bet the mollies are loving it). Is it like that out of the tap?

How many of each species do you have and which ones are sick currently? What's the temperature in the tank?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

The testing kit is my moms, it has two different pH bottles and im not reazlly sure why. 7.6 is the highest on one pH card, but the second card goes up to, 8.8.the sick fish were one of my tetra, a platy, a couple guppys and a couple mollies. the temp of the water is about 75 degrees F. I have 2 tetra, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppys, 3 platys, 10 mollies
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroberts1993 View Post
The testing kit is my moms, it has two different pH bottles and im not reazlly sure why. 7.6 is the highest on one pH card, but the second card goes up to, 8.8.the sick fish were one of my tetra, a platy, a couple guppys and a couple mollies. the temp of the water is about 75 degrees F. I have 2 tetra, 3 cherry barbs, 3 guppys, 3 platys, 10 mollies
Ok, so your pH is indeed 8.2 then.

Wow, that's a lot of fish. Were the sick ones all added recently or are some of those older?

~Stephanie

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

older, except the platys, but I looked over my fish again today and I saw nothing wrong with them. Should I still do a water change tomorrow just in case?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
older, except the platys, but I looked over my fish again today and I saw nothing wrong with them. Should I still do a water change tomorrow just in case?
Yes, keep doing frequent water changes for the next couple of weeks. Ich has a lifespan of approximately two weeks (or less). They go through a phase where they live in the aquarium but not on the fish (I'll type more later, running out the door!).

~Stephanie

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

okay, thank you very much. ill keep posted on how the fish and water is doing
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

No problem, good luck! When you get this sorted, you might want to re-evaluate your stock list as far as fish go...you have fish that need different water conditions. You can't please everyone that way and you'll always have some fish that are compromised and weaker in general.

And here's a post of mine from an old thread that explains the life cycle of Ich:

Raising the temperature speeds up the lifespan and the reason we want to do that is simple. Ich is impossible to treat when in the adult stage where it lives on the actual fish. Towards the end of the lifespan the parasite leaves the host and produces large amounts of free-swimming tomites. Then the young look for a host and the cycle continues. Aquarium salt and medications will only harm these tomites. By speeding up the life cycle any treatments will work faster since medications won't affect the Ich trophozoites that are already on the fish.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

should I keep my tetras and cherry barbs in my 10 gallon and have my mollies, guppies and platys in my 29 gallon? i greatly appreciate your help with giving me more knowledge about Ich
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
should I keep my tetras and cherry barbs in my 10 gallon and have my mollies, guppies and platys in my 29 gallon? i greatly appreciate your help with giving me more knowledge about Ich
What kind of tetras are they? That might work.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

a red eye tetra and a black phantom tetra
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
a red eye tetra and a black phantom tetra
The last of their schools, I assume? Since normally tetras are kept in groups.

Those guys need a decent amount of space so the 10-gallon would be pushing it (the cherry barbs could be moved there, though). I would just not replace the tetras as they pass on since you only have two left.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

these last two have lasted for about four years as the pair. im not only suprised by the size of the "school" but also at their age. i read that red eye tetras are only assumed to live for two years?