Ick meds with babies? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Ick meds with babies?

Does anyone know if I can put Ick medication in my aquarium if I have little molly babies?

I'm not totally sure if it's ick, but my two male mollies have something. The black molly has a fuzzy white eye, not too bad looking, but he's not really swimming much just kinda staying on the bottom and the orange molly has some fuzzy stuff on his fins, also not too bad, but doesn't look healthy. The orange one is also swimming kinda funny, moving it's head back and forth fast once and awhile.

I'm not sure what this is, but since all I have is ick meds I figured I'd try it if it's safe for my babies. Someone please let me know if it's okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Anyone?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:06 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I treated mine with the babies and they were ok...I know they are all different, but I tell ya my baby mollies made it through the ick and then a case of white moldy looking stuff...they are strong little babies

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Okay, thanx! I was thinking of just doing half the meds so it's not so strong, just in case. This doesn't really look like ich though, kinda looks more like a fluffy fungus. And it's a lot better looking today. Thanx for hte reply.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 11:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That's not Ich, that's a fungal infection. Rather than try to medicate and risk losing your babies (as the medication I recommend for infections is pretty strong), I would first try doing lots of partial water changes and maybe add a bit of freshwater aquarium salt.

Clean water is honestly the best way to treat infections. You might want to get your water tested to make sure the parameters are in the correct ranges.

If it gets worse and you decide to medicate, try to find something called "Binox" by Jungle. It treats both bacterial and fungal infections and is very strong (I usually only use a half dose unless it's severe). It's a powder that you mix with water, there should be directions right on the bottle.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx Sasami! I hadn't medicated the water yet cuz I really didn't think it was ick. I will do what you suggested, but I won't be able to get that med you suggested. The only place we have here is Walmart and they sadly they only have one kind of med and it's only for ick. Their fish stuff and fish selection is quite poor, but it's all we have unless I drive 1 1/2 hours away.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 12:49 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

its like that here...we buy what is available for us at the wal-mart, then when we go out of town or have to travel a bit for other stuff then I stock up on all the things that may go wrong...we have all kinds of fish meds now...ever since my other fish got some sort of fungus infection...its so hard when you don't live close to things...

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Yeah, it really sucks. My problem is that whenever I do go way out there I always forget to go and "stock up". When I do go it's usually for a certain reason so we just go there do what we went for and get out, lol. We hate busy traffic and it gets so crazy we just want to leave as soon as we get there, lol.

I did the water change and I added the salt (I've had the salt for a long time, but I wasn't sure exactly how to put it in, so I right now I just disolved it before I added it, is that the right way?)

How many more times should I do a water change now and how much. I did about 40% this time, I hope that wasn't too much.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, that's understandable. Have you considered maybe ordering some of the more basic medications online just to have around? http://www.drsfostersmith.com is great for that .

Yup, you added the salt correctly.

That 40% water change was fine. I would do a 20% water change every day for at least the next few days, to remove fungus spores/bacteria.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx for the link, I might just have to do that. A lot less trouble, lol.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

It looks like they are doing better, not that much fuzzy/slimy stuff on the fins anymore. The orange molly is acting a lot more normal, but the black one is still just staying on the bottom or sometimes resting on rocks in the middle and his eyes look funny to me, although it could just be me, lol. He is eating though, so I guess that's probably a good sign, right? All the other fish are still looking and acting normal including the babies.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i would have tried to help but i have no idea with fishes... good luck!!

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, eating is definitely a good sign . Just keep up with the water changes and they should be fine.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Aspires to Stupidity

Thanx
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:03 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am glad to hear they are doing good

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley