idea for the 40 gal - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

idea for the 40 gal

I have been wanting an amphibian tank for a while. Right now I am setting up my simple ten gallon planted tank for three ADF but down the road after my ancient kissing gourami has passed would it be ok to divide the 40 long tank down the middle and put an axolotl on one side and two ACF on the other? They have the same temperature requirements and filtration needs Other than the ACF not liking vibration but the tank will have 80 gal of filtration on it. Just wondering if i should even consider this idea. They are both very sensitive to water quality so the water would have to be pristine. Also I Love watching my Gourami and he's doing great its just every time i look at that tank I think about converting it lol. I've looked at the needs and feeding of each and down the road i'd love it. And I promise this isnt an ask and go do it in spite of what people say. if need be i will set up the forty for the ACF and a seperate tank for the axolotl I just though this idea would be cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I think that could possibly work but yeah, you're going to need to be on top of water changes and testing. Invest in a good test kit (not the strips) and a siphon that's easy for you to use (so you won't want to put off water changes, haha).

I would add the frogs first and wait for the tank to be totally stable before you add the axolotl. As you know, they're pretty sensitive to ammonia. Before you get the axolotl also make sure you've found a way to keep the tank consistently cool. The frogs can tolerate temperature spikes but axolotls have shorter lifespans in warm water. Depending on the temperature of your house that could mean needing a chiller or at least a fan in the summer. One other thing you can do to "prepare" for an axolotl: get your food cultures ready ahead of time. For any animal that needs uncommon live foods, you want to get practice first . Don't do what I did with my first newts...I got blackworms the day I bought my newts. And promptly killed them (by accident, of course) .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I decided against it. The 40 will be a species tank and I'll be getting a 30 gal and it will also be a species tank