Im Getting A Beta!!!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Question Im Getting A Beta!!!!!

Im getting a beta, and i would like to know some things,

* How big should the tank be?
* I had a beta when i was little but i can't remember what we fed it, what do you feed yours?
* Should he have any thing special in his tank, little fisherman, etc.?
* How often should his tank be cleaned out and given fresh water?

I think thats it for right now, Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 10:59 AM

www.bettatalk.com is one of the best websites on betta info on the web. Check it out.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

http://www.bettatalk.com has some decent info but I disagree with some things and it's not my favorite betta website. I recommend the following sites:

http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/home.imp

http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/

http://www.bcbetta.com/

http://www.healthybetta.com/

Some of them are probably better for breeding but they still have nice info .

As far as your questions...

* How big should the tank be?

1-gallon is the bare minimum...I highly recommend getting an aquarium at least 2 gallons. The 2.5 gallon Mini-Bow kits are pretty popular and not very expensive but don't use the filter that comes with it...it's too strong and can damage their fins. In a tank less then 5 gallons you don't need a filter anyways.

* I had a beta when i was little but i can't remember what we fed it, what do you feed yours?

I rotate between HBH Betta Bites and Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. I definately recommend both =). The bettas in my community aquariums sometimes snack on Omega One Fish Flakes but most bettas don't like flakes so I'd stick to pellets. It's also a good idea to supplement with frozen foods such as bloodworms and brine shrimp. Freeze dried foods, on the other hand, are not very healthy and should only be given as a treat. Remember that it's normal for your new betta to not eat for a few days...or even a week! Don't worry, he won't starve.

* Should he have any thing special in his tank, little fisherman, etc.?

I would get some silk plants (plastic can rip their fins) and a place to hide such as a castle or hidey rock. If you want to do live plants then I'd recommend anacharis for a small tank. Java fern would work, too, but you can't plant it...it should be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood.

* How often should his tank be cleaned out and given fresh water?

That depends on what size tank you get. A 2-gallon aquarium should be cleaned out completely every other week and on the week you don't do a 100% water change you might want to do a partial water change and maybe clean the gravel. Always remember to decholorinate your water.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Kool, thanks, plastic can rip their fins? i didn't know that, i'll keep that in mind, So if i get a male beta can i get another male or am i just better off not doing that? or can i get a female and put them in the same tank and not worry about babies?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 06:59 PM
RAT ADDICT

Female bettas do best in groups of about 5 or so.They are more sociable then the males,which as you know must not be kept with other males.

Plastic plants...not good.As mentioned above,they can rip the fins.I use the fake,silk made ones.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appagirl
Kool, thanks, plastic can rip their fins? i didn't know that, i'll keep that in mind, So if i get a male beta can i get another male or am i just better off not doing that? or can i get a female and put them in the same tank and not worry about babies?
Yup, plastic is dangerous since they have long, flowing fins that tend to get caught.

I would just stick with one betta unless you have an aquarium at least 10 gallons. Males can never live together safely...females can but they need to be in a group of at least three (five is better) and they do tend to fight a little...especially when you first get them.

You can't keep a male and female together...they will kill each other.

You can get other tank mates for the betta, though, like ghost shrimp and african dwarf frogs. Apple snails and certain species of fish work too. But if you want tank mates you need a tank of at least 5 gallons.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

oh, well, thats a nice little world, i'll keep that in mind, what about goldfish, can i stick one of those in with beta's?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
oh, well, thats a nice little world, i'll keep that in mind, what about goldfish, can i stick one of those in with beta's?
No. Absolutely not.

Bettas are tropical fish requiring a higher temperature while goldfish are coldwater and therefore prefer cool temperatures. They have very different needs and a goldfish needs a ton of room...at least 20 gallons for a single goldfish. They also need very strong filteration which the betta wouldn't like since they prefer still water.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

oh, okay, thats interesting, so a 1-2 gallon fish tank, got it, i think we are going to go and get my beta this weekend, or sometime like that,
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
oh, okay, thats interesting, so a 1-2 gallon fish tank, got it, i think we are going to go and get my beta this weekend, or sometime like that,
Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Cool! Post pictures when you get your fish .

Also, remember that 1-gallon is the minimum...I'd definately go for at least 2-gallons or even something larger . Your fish will be much happier and it's easier to heat a larger tank.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

well, we haven't gotten him yet, but i'll bug my gma about it friday, maybe we will get him this weekend, and OF COURSE I"LL POST PICS!!!!! i'd be crazy not too, i'm afriad people might come to my house because i didn't post pics. hehe! JK! love ya'll

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, brine shrimp, dwarf frogs, female betta, female bettas, fish tank, ghost shrimp, hbh betta bites, male betta, tropical fish