Info on bettas? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Info on bettas?

I have seen these in the pet shop in a tiny dish thing.
Is it ok to keep them like this.
I might get one as everyone seems to have them and they seem happy with them.
Could you tell me what they need and eat and that please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
Herp Nerd

Bettas are a lot more demanding than one might assume seeing them in those little ugly cups at stores. Theres no end of sites out there detailing out their care, but here's one that I just found in a quick search.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

So they are hard to keep then.
i do not want anything to difficult in water as the turtles are demanding enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Bettas aren't very difficult, but like Ravnos said, they're harder then the petstores make them out to be. I like them because they don't need a huge tank, are colorful, are active, and have an easy diet.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:17 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Are we talking male or female bettas here? I assume you mean males and in that case they need to be kept alone or in a community tank with other peace loving fish (personally i think they are best of alone) but not other Bettas as they fight hence the name the siamese fighting fish. I agree with Ravnos they are harder to keep than petstores might make out but they are wonderful little fish

Bettas need around a 5 gallon planted tank although can be kept in slightly smaller but nothing less that a 2 gallon. Some people keep them in goldfish bowls but i don't think these are big enough or really safe enough as Bettas can jump so really need keeping in a tank with a lid to avoid any accidents. They like plants to hide in and for them to be able to build bubble nests but they mustn't completely cover the surface as they need to get to the top for air. Bettas unlike other fish also have the ability to breathe air at the surface as well as taking it from the water so when choosing a filter your going to need something thats not going to break the surface too much as this will upset them. As they come from the paddy fields of asia and live in still waters, undergravel filtration is normally ideal for them or a small sponge filter kept near the bottom of the tank. You might also need a low wattage heater for the tank, depending on how warm your home is and how constant the temperature is all year round. I don't need a heater in my betta tanks as the temperature stays above what the desired temperature is all year around. Dietwise they will eat flakes, pellets and they also love brine shrimp, blood worms, daphnia etc...... and the occasional pea.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Do they need a lot of cleaning out.
that is my main worry as in another thread I have explained I am no so good at glass
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They need regular water changes yes, about 30% at a time as they need good quality water in order to stay fit and healthy as any fish does In any case you wouldn't need to shift the tank just syphon the water out into a bucket and replace the water with some more dechlorinated water so you would'nt have to worry about shifting the tank each time it needs water changing

Kirsty

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Im good at scooping water.
I have to scoop out the water in my turtle tank which is loads.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Well then you'll be fine with a betta tank as once its all set up you don't need to shift it plus it will be too heavy to move once filled with water so all you'd need to do is a 30% water change per week or fortnight depending on the tanks stats

Kirsty

Tags
blood worms, brine shrimp, female betta, female bettas, male betta, pet shop