Interested in 'redoing' my tank. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Interested in 'redoing' my tank.

i stated in one of my posts.. somewhere.. that i used to have a very aggressive tank. 2 red tailed barracuda, an arrowanna, and needlefish and this fish in there now (for the life of me i cannot remember his name). i also have 3 loches (sp?) but they are always hiding so they are fine at the bottom. dont get me wrong i loved them when i had them all.. the arrowanna was only a baby (if you dont know about them they can grow to 5 feet i was planning on upgrading my tank to something BIG when he got that big. unfortunately.. he jumped out of the tank.. dont know how it IS covered.

ANYWAYS.. i am looking to bring my tank to a more happy community. i love watching my fish, and would LOVE to go SW but i do not have te funding to do so (one day).

I will be completely starting over.. as i would like to change the gravel i have in there (it is blue), this time around i want to go for a REALLY natural look. i do, however have quite a lot of live plants, and a piece of driftwood. i have more driftwood, but it is not soaked/sterilized.

i am looking for some ideas of mellow/happy fish to get. i have a few in mind, and i would actually like to put a female betta or a few of them in there. i used to have a female betta in this tank (before the aggressive fish were in there) and she was fine.

anyways- any suggestions? i would also like to get a little bit more than fishes.. like some shrimp or something.

does anyone have a brackish tank? interested to talk to someone with one of those as well.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 01:37 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What size tank do you have and what sort of filteration?

For non-fish creatures I'd recommend amano shrimp, ghost shrimp, african dwarf frogs, and apple snails. Those are my favorites, anyway. The shrimp might end up as a snack depending on which fish you get.

This is a good link to check out if you're interested in trying a brackish aquarium: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/BrackishS...ubWebIndex.htm

I was actually going to do one but decided to go with saltwater instead. Keep in mind that many of the available brackish fish get large and need a big tank.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

to be COMPLETELY honest with you i am not 100% sure what size tank i have.. i have had it since i was probably in the 6th grade.. i THINK its about 15-20, maybe 25?.. i would like to get a bigger one regardless.

i have had a few different kinds of shrimp, and frogs, i liked them.. and would have them again.

filteration i have one filter set up, it is an aqua clear.. made to filter a 30 gallon tank. it gets cleaned about once every week in a half if not weekly.. i would like to get two and have one on the right and left (still on the back wall of it).

does anyknow know anything about the more "rare" kinds of shrimp?? i, at one point, have had two Singapore Flower Shrimp and thought they were very interesting.. thinking about getting a fresh water clam or two lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:27 PM

we have in our community tank-a bala shark, skirt tetras, assorted cory cats(i love those little guys), a black shark(for a cleaner,they get aggresive as they get bigger but our petco lets us trade them in to get a smaller one again), and a platy (although for some reason we have no luck with platies, i love them though cause they are so colorful). you could try any of the tetras, danios, mollies are wonderful-very hardy they can also be brackish if you go that way. just remember to keep it down to 1inch of fish excluding tails per gallon of water.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 11:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWbarnbum
to be COMPLETELY honest with you i am not 100% sure what size tank i have.. i have had it since i was probably in the 6th grade.. i THINK its about 15-20, maybe 25?.. i would like to get a bigger one regardless.

i have had a few different kinds of shrimp, and frogs, i liked them.. and would have them again.

filteration i have one filter set up, it is an aqua clear.. made to filter a 30 gallon tank. it gets cleaned about once every week in a half if not weekly.. i would like to get two and have one on the right and left (still on the back wall of it).

does anyknow know anything about the more "rare" kinds of shrimp?? i, at one point, have had two Singapore Flower Shrimp and thought they were very interesting.. thinking about getting a fresh water clam or two lol.
If you plan to get a bigger tank anyways then what size do you want? Sorry to keep asking about the size but some fish do better in certain sized aquariums. For example, most pleco species do best in a large tank of at least 55-gallons.

In my community tank I have a male betta, six neon tetras, and three small cory cats (who will be moved to another tank within a few months that will also house a Figure-8 puffer).

Another idea would be a livebearer tank containing fancy guppies, platies, swordtails, and mollies. It would be a colorful and active display. Plus, they have similar care needs and water requirements. Platies are my personal faves when it comes to livebearers...they are pretty, peaceful, and easy to care for. Although I suppose that goes for guppies, swordtails, and mollies too...hehe.

When setting up a community tank make sure to get fish that will swim on all different levels. For example, in mine I have a betta (top), neons (middle), and cories (bottom). Another general guideline you can use is to have one or two "show" fish...basically that means fish that are very attractive or unique (these are also usually larger then most of the others), a school of smaller fish (like tetras or guppies), and some bottom dwellers (cories, plecos, shrimp, etc.). In my tank my betta is my "show" fish, the neon tetras form a school, and I have bottom-dwelling cory cats. Like I said, it's just a general guideline but I have used it to make some nice communities .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

have you ever had any kind of problem putting the male beta in the tank with other fish? i have heard they are alright with certain other fish but i have never done it personally.

and if i were to get a bigger tank, i would not go to big.. the only way i would go BIG is if i were going to do salt water.. which.. like i said it out of my price rage for a while. i am thinking when im older and settled into a house i will get to that. so size.. MAYBE 50 or 55 would probably be the max.

and yeah i understand wat you are saying about the different swimming levels of where they swim. i have seen certain tanks that i would really like mine to look like. like i stated i really want a natural looking tank (as far as the "decorations" go.. i.e. plants and such).

either way this will not be happening within the net week or anything.. just eventually within the next 2 months or so when i get some time to sit and get it done. just looking for some ideas of what i should do..

thats a little to green/crowded for me but you get the idea.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
have you ever had any kind of problem putting the male beta in the tank with other fish? i have heard they are alright with certain other fish but i have never done it personally.

and if i were to get a bigger tank, i would not go to big.. the only way i would go BIG is if i were going to do salt water.. which.. like i said it out of my price rage for a while. i am thinking when im older and settled into a house i will get to that. so size.. MAYBE 50 or 55 would probably be the max.

and yeah i understand wat you are saying about the different swimming levels of where they swim. i have seen certain tanks that i would really like mine to look like. like i stated i really want a natural looking tank (as far as the "decorations" go.. i.e. plants and such).

either way this will not be happening within the net week or anything.. just eventually within the next 2 months or so when i get some time to sit and get it done. just looking for some ideas of what i should do..

thats a little to green/crowded for me but you get the idea.
I've personally never had any issues with keeping bettas with other fish but I know some people have. Some tetras and other small fish will nip at bettas' fins. You also should avoid mixing fancy guppies with bettas because the guppies' fins remind bettas of other bettas. I've done it with very peaceful fish, though. And of course don't keep gouramis with bettas since they are in the same family and may fight.

I like natural-looking aquariums too and the only decor I tend to use are live plants, rocks, and driftwood.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 PM

Well, I think you should go with some dwarf, Tangyanikan cichlids!

They are lively little buggars, and are just as cute as can be!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

africans are an option as well.

forgot to say thanks for all the input yall lol.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 08:48 AM

Well, not all Africans will do well in a small tank.

Do me a favor, and get a tape measurer and measure the width, length, and depth of the tank. I can figure out how big or small this tank is with that, then give you some other options!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM

As Laura said, we need the exacte measurements, to give you better advice and what to put in there.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

well for right now.. i am going to keep the 15-25. however much it is.. if i go bigger i will let you know.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
well for right now.. i am going to keep the 15-25. however much it is.. if i go bigger i will let you know.
For that size tank I wouldn't get very large or messy fish. You also don't want a very active fish (like a pictus catfish or something) because they like to have alot of room.

A small school of tetras, fancy guppies, or barbs would be nice. You could also add a gourami or betta plus some small cories or something.

Or if you wanted some non-fish creatures you could get some shrimp, an apple snail, and a bunch of african dwarf frogs. And maybe some small fish like neons or danios.

I would just go to a fish store and see what fish interest you and then research them. The possibilities are endless...it's really up to you .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oh, and sorry to double-post, but have you considered newts? A tank that size would be great for a few firebelly or paddetail newts . Just figured I'd mention it since it's something a little different .

When I had newts I loved them...they were so fun to watch! They became very tame, too, and would eat from my hand and let me pet them.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 PM

i wouldn't suggest putting guppies and barbs together though. barbs tend to be nippy and guppies long fins are a tempting snack for them.jmo

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, bigger tank, cory cats, dwarf frogs, female betta, ghost shrimp, male betta, neon tetras