Jumping fish - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cool Jumping fish

i've just got a new tank, fluval chi, and because it has no lid the fish keep jumping out of the open top. I did go out and buy a plastic plant that goes on the filter and it has stopped some of the fish jumping out but i still come home to find a dead fish on my living room floor. I just wondered if there was anything else I could do without having to buy a new tank.

Also I have these small snails in the tank as well and i've had them since I bought a live plant, how can i get rid of them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Betta Bomb

The tank did not come with a top? I'm sure you can measure it and buy a canopy for it online for relatively cheap of your equivelent of Kijiji classifieds. My sister for a while when she was younger covered her tanks with books (which is a bad idea bc the moisture rots the paper) and plastic sheets like plexi glass.

As for the snails, http://www.aquariumfish.net/informat...all_snails.htm

Good luck!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I hate to say it but that aquarium isn't really suitable for most fish. It's more decorative than functional. Most people who are successful with it just stock shrimp and live plants. Shrimp won't jump out so you could safely keep cherry shrimp, bumblebee shrimp, amano shrimp, etc. They can actually make for a nice display.

That being said, if you're determined to keep fish, you could probably put netting over the top. Or cut some egg crate to fit. I have a feeling that most fish would still get out but a single betta might stay put with those types of tops. White cloud minnows, celestial danios, and harlequin rasboras are the only fish (other than a betta) that could survive long-term. They're not major jumpers, either. Of course you'd have to stick to one species and only stock a few.

Is there a reason you want to get rid of the snails? They're not really harmful and will help out by eating algae and un-eaten food. You should also be able to pluck them out by hand. Do you know what species they are?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 05:59 PM
Betta Bomb

Oh wow! I just googled the Chi and it DOES look nice. It looks more like a decoration, like sasami said. Not as practical if you want anything other than a betta and maybe some shrimps (as Sasami said)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

yes the chi is nice and I think you are right it is more just for decoration. But Sasami I don't think I will be able to buy a canopy online because the tank is designed not to have a top
And thank you for the link about the snails.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfhamsters97 View Post
yes the chi is nice and I think you are right it is more just for decoration. But Sasami I don't think I will be able to buy a canopy online because the tank is designed not to have a top
And thank you for the link about the snails.
I know you can't have a canopy, that's why I recommended netting or egg crate . Otherwise you're going to have to stick to shrimp.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.