Just Some Thoughts... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Just Some Thoughts...

I bought my dad a sucker fish as a suprise for his tank. Dad loves him! My baby brother named him Jack. Anyways, my little aquarium is so tiny, maybe 3 gallons. I might get some aquatic frogs for it, but I was thinking about getting a larger tank and getting something more exciting in it. Maybe some goldfish, a shrimp, or crabbs. What do you think? Anyone here with a small tank? A big one? Should I do it? Where did you get your tank? What aquatic pets do you have?

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 AM

3 gallon tank is not big enough for a pleco. You definately need a bigger tank.

If you go with Goldfish try to stick to only a few as they are pretty "messy". If you go freshwater go with something docile like a molly. I'd steer clear of the crabs and/or shrimp.

We have a 125gal freshwater and a 37gal sw. We got both tanks at a fish store in Tucson. The freshwater is all chiclids and the sw only has 2 maroon clowns and a royal gramma.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 10:08 AM

Three gallons is much too small for most species of fish, except maybe a betta. Goldfish require at least 10 gallons for the first fish and 15 gallons for each additional fish. They get really big and need LOTS of room.

I would get a betta and maybe a live plant for your 3 gallon tank, if I were you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I too would not get goldfish. That is a very small tank. A betta, or maybe some small tetras would be okay.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

3 gallon is really only suitable for a betta or at a push a small coloney of white cloud minnows but thats about it maximum as frogs tend to get quite big as do most other fish! If i was you i'd plant it up and get a nice male betta and he will be quite happy in there on his own

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 07:19 PM

If you get the African Dwarf frogs, they would do good with 1 or 2 in that small of a tank. They are also really funny to watch. They dont get big either. Also, a betta is good. Other than that, you could go to the store and get a 10 gallon aquarium for less than $10 and then you would have much more options.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummie
Three gallons is much too small for most species of fish, except maybe a betta. Goldfish require at least 10 gallons for the first fish and 15 gallons for each additional fish. They get really big and need LOTS of room.

I would get a betta and maybe a live plant for your 3 gallon tank, if I were you.

Yeah...I have nothing in there.

Pet parent to Orei and Princess (the kitties), Caeser (the doggie), Marco, Piper and Silferno (the ratties).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 01:21 AM

I even have my betta in a 5 gallon ... but that's about all you can put in a 3 gallon. I wouldn't even put 1 goldfish in a 10 .. they really do need bigger.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:56 PM

I have 2 goldfish in a 2.5 gallon, they grow to the size of the tank so they wont get any bigger than they already are. most ones you buy in a pet store will stay that size if you have a small tank. if you to water changes every week or so it wont be to dirty either, my fish are deffinately happy! i would definately return the pleco though, they can get up to a foot and a half!! my friend has 2 small goldfish and 2 african dwarf frogs in a three gallon, and has had them for years and they do just fine. you could always get another tank, and keep the pleco and some other fish in that... they really are addicting

Tags
african dwarf, african dwarf frog, bigger tank, dwarf frogs, male betta, pet store