Just wanted to introduce my fish - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
Like the others said, some types of goldfish can get huge, and they are very messy fish!

You should see the size of my sisters comet goldfish. Some of them are so big, I doubt they would even fit inside a 4 gallon tank.
Yeah when I was a kid I had a HUGE goldfish and I had him in a 10 gallon tank (before I knew better).He was the size of an almost full grown oscar and had a very long tail.Surprisingly he lived for a few years,I had him 4-5 yrs and he survived alot,a tiny tank with high ammonia levels and jumping out of the tank (I found him half dead,but he survived and I had him another long while) and he even spawned with another goldfish I had (the tank was crowded and I made alot of mistakes back then).

My point is...goldfish are hardy fish.
But just because they are surviving in a smaller,dirty tank does not mean they are thriving and in most cases will not live as long as they could with proper tank sizes,filters...etc,etc.

My friend used to always keep goldfish in fish bowls (which sadly pet stores recommend) and they always died within 1-2 weeks.She was shocked that my goldfish were outliving hers in tanks,but she just assumed goldfish had short lifespans.In reality goldfish can live 10-30 (and I heard older cases too) years.I hear koi can live 60 yrs too.Either way with proper care they are long lived fish.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Playful Pup

Well i say hats off to you Geegeorge. I didn't think that you could mix coldwater and tropical fish but you seem to have made it work for now Yes it may not last forever but that's pretty awesome that you've managed to get a peaceful existence out of your fishes for 6 months so far.
I like the photos, it's so difficult to take pictures of your fish in the tank lol.
Even though goldfish are a coldwater species they wont die in warmer temperatures and who knows they may even prefer it slightly warmer, i know i would

Tags
fish