Just wanted to introduce my fish - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Just wanted to introduce my fish

so, I've got a tank that most people think isn't a possible mix. But 6 months in we still have everybody living peacefully. I've got 4 goldfish, who started out as feeders and have thrived, 2 giant danios, 2 odessa barbs, a male betta, a bristle nose pleco and a common pleco. I had bought some puffers, that the pet store people told me would get along fine with everyone, but they chewed the bettas fins right down, and did nothing but pace in thew corners. So they went back, and we got the barbs and danios instead. I've also lost the 2 crabs we had. But now we seem to have a really interesting well working mix.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm shocked that they are fine together! Very pretty though, its hard to take a good fish pic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Hello Earthling

May I ask how big the tank is?

Goldfish need at LEAST 20 gallons a fish. They are also cold water, while the betta is a tropical fish.

The plecos will also need a larger tank.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

No offense (seriously, I'm not trying to sound rude) but having a tank set up for six months without fighting doesn't mean the mix is working. Most of those fish haven't even matured yet.

Also, you do realize that the pleco and betta prefer warm water while the barbs and goldfish prefer cool water, right? That's the main reason people say not to mix those species, it's not because of fighting.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I get that, but my fish are thriving, not just existing. The goldfish are growing at a steady rate, the betta's fins have come back beatifully after being picked by the puffers. Our bristlenose was rescued from a tank where he was fin picked and is now growing and active. Even though it all seems wrong we have to be doing something right.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Just because fish are growing doesn't mean much. I have seen goldfish kept in bowls that managed to grow large enough where the bowl had to be cracked open to get the fish out. I wish I was kidding!

I'm not saying you're a fish abuser or anything, it just sounds like you need to do research before picking out which species you want. I know it's hard when you see a beautiful fish at the store but it's in their best interest . Had you researched, you'd have known that puffers are notorious for nipping and bullying other fish. You'd also have known that the crabs aren't freshwater (the puffers probably weren't, either, by the way), need land, and are escape artists. Even just a few minutes of Google searching can go a long way!

Your fish are alive and doing ok because you have chosen very hardy species. That doesn't make the set-up appropriate. All I'm trying to say is be careful and research in the future--it would be awful for you to end up coming home with a fish that kills all your other fish or something . I would also be prepared to separate the fish if needed. Goldfish are usually ok with smaller fish such as the barbs when they're young but can be bullies as they get older, for example.

Honestly, if you really want what's best for your fish you'd separate them into two separate tanks. One large coldwater set-up and a smaller tropical set-up. But if you can't do that, at LEAST have a small tank ready for separations (you should have a hospital/quarantine tank anyways, they're really handy and cheap to set up).

By the way, I hope you're aware that your goldfish have the potential to get REALLY big.

I mean REALLY big.

They're fine in an aquarium right now but one day you might need a pond . You happened to pick the largest goldfish--common goldfish.

Once again, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I know you mean well and care about your fish. The tank seems large and clean, your goldfish aren't in bowls, etc. But I do think you should read up on the species you have before you have another puffer incident .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Last edited by Sasami; 01-22-2010 at 12:10 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah those feeder fish can get HUGE! My sister got a bunch of them a few years ago. After doing tank upgrades like 6 times she just ended up setting up an outdoor pond for them, because she couldn't really fit a tank that would be big enough for them inside her house.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Plecos I've read can grow up to...5 feet I think. We used to have one - boy are they hardy. When the 90 gallon split, he almost got sucked through the crack in the glass, but fortunately, was a powerful swimmer, and just managed to stay a head's away from the current until we were able to rescue him.

My fiance heard another story of a woman who walked into her living room one morning to find her Pleco outside of the tank, with cat claw and cat teeth marks all over it. She had no idea how long he'd been out of the water, and thinking he was dead she picked him up. He started thrashing so she got scared and put him back in the tank. He lived, fins grew back and everything. They truly are amazingly hardy fish.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have to agree with the others.

Your goldfish should be in a cooler tank,while the betta and danios should be in a warmer tank.Just because it is working now,doesn't mean it will forever.

Years ago before I knew better I did the same thing and mixed fish,like bettas with goldfish and such.It worked for awhile,but I always had problems later in the future.Goldfish can be really pushy and when they get big can actually bully smaller fish (and eachother).Some bettas are more aggressive then others and will harass the other fish,stressing everyone out.

You can find cheap tanks these days on classified sites,just make sure there are no cracks and they can hold water before buying them.I have gotten tanks in great condition and for really cheap from classified sites.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post

You can find cheap tanks these days on classified sites,just make sure there are no cracks and they can hold water before buying them.I have gotten tanks in great condition and for really cheap from classified sites.
That's how I get most of my aquariums . Craigslist is especially useful for finding cheap/free tanks.

~Stephanie

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancritter View Post
May I ask how big the tank is?

Goldfish need at LEAST 20 gallons a fish. They are also cold water, while the betta is a tropical fish.

The plecos will also need a larger tank.
I used to work for a Fish store. Big Als Fish Aquarium.

A Goldfish needs at least FOUR gallons, not 20, your thinking of a clown fish in a salt water tank.

As for the betta, also not true, bettas are fine in normal, room temperature water.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHogSTAR View Post

A Goldfish needs at least FOUR gallons, not 20, your thinking of a clown fish in a salt water tank.

As for the betta, also not true, bettas are fine in normal, room temperature water.

An aquarium store which sells for money....

Goldfish are very messy fish, which as seen in the picture that was posted grow to very large sizes.

I don't know about salt water tanks, so I cannot be thinking of clown fish.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=97350

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 01:37 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeHogSTAR View Post

No,this is not true.The people there don't know what they are talking about.Goldfish are messy fish which grow big and can live many years.They need space and good filtration.The smallest I would ever keep a small goldfish in is 15 gallons.

4 gallons is way too small for a goldfish.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Like the others said, some types of goldfish can get huge, and they are very messy fish!

You should see the size of my sisters comet goldfish. Some of them are so big, I doubt they would even fit inside a 4 gallon tank.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I agree with the above posters and wanted to add that there are some clownfish who need more room than that, such as maroon clowns .

~Stephanie

Tags
fish