keeping and caring for aquatic plants in one's fish tank? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

keeping and caring for aquatic plants in one's fish tank?

I was just wondering if anyone may or may not have specific advise as to care for not only your fish in your tank but also any plants you might keep in the tank as well. I had hear some people tell me about aquatic plant fertilizers you can put into the water to help keep any plants that you have in there healthy as well, certain kinds of bulbs one can use to help promote photosynthesis for the plants. If anyone knows anything about these techniques or products I would be most interested in hearing about them so I can use them in my tanks at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Are you looking to start planting your tanks? If so, don't worry too much about fertilizers and CO2 right now--there are actually some great beginner plants that don't need a lot of care .

I can definitely help you out and recommend some plants but I'd need to know the aquarium set-up first. Temperature, lighting, fish, substrate, tank size, etc.

Generally speaking, though, java ferns thrive basically anywhere. Those are great starter plants--just tie them to rocks or driftwood (they do better when tied rather than directly planted). Water sprite and duckweed are also REALLY hardy. There are actually a bunch of easy plants but it depends on your tank size and such .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Hello Earthling

You can get duckweed for free usually at the fish store.... good if you like me and kill duckweek too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I think I have some java fern in the tank already I was trying to put some plants in the 2 gallon tank I have my lil female betta lucy in and heard a lady tell me how using certain kids bulbs can help assist the plants as well as fertilizer can be good too. most of the plants apart from the java fern are floating ones. lol omg I feel bad but I can't remember what the other stuff is I am sorry. Lucy seems to really like the stuff she sits and lounges in it quite a bit she is fairly small so the 2 gallon tank is a big space for her to explore. The lighting as of right now is just the typical aquarium bulb kind of lighting. I keep the light pretty much all day maybe shutting it off for a 30 minute period of time...so it does not fry the plants or the fishy.
Thats all I can think of for info now if you have any recommendations for other plants that would be great. I am using tank gravel right for for the flooring although java fern now makes up a good part of the floor too.

Tags
aquatic plants + care