Kribensis question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Kribensis question

Has anyone had experience breeding kribensis? The ones I have are quite beautiful and have been peaceful fish so I would like to try getting them to reproduce. Any info on tank size, preferred temperature, or first-hand observations would be great. Thank you for your help. <-Steve->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't know what they are.What are they?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

They are a type of cichlid from the Niger River area of Africa.
Their latin name is Pelvicachromis pulcher and are commonly called "purple cichlid" or "rainbow cichlid". My brother and I did get one pair to reproduce several years back, but I think that could have been attributed solely to good luck (we didn't even know we had a male and female - we just bought two random fish). After reading some articles on the net, I'm feeling pretty clear on how to go about setting up a brooding tank.
There are only two main drawbacks to this species that I have found. One is that they like to nip the fins on corydoras catfish. The other is that they can be very shy around humans - tending to hide among the aquarium rocks when being observed. Overall, though, they're pretty cool fish and are quite colorful for a freshwater species. Check 'em out if you get a chance. <-Steve->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
RAT ADDICT

They are beautiful! I looked them up.I adore cichlids anyway!! I used to have convicts and an oscar.I do want to start up another cichlid tank in the future.

Unfortunatly I do not know much about this species right now.Are they aggressive like other species of cichlid? Or are they just fin nippers?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm.... It kind of depends on who you ask; and to a certain extent on the individual fish. While I definitely wouldn't put them in the same category as an oscar, I would say you'd have to be a little careful about trying to place them in a community tank. Like a lot of the cichlids, they do like to stake out a "territory" and so could be considered a bit aggressive. Also, I'm sure that any baby guppies/platies etc. in the area might become a quick snack. That being said, in a single species tank (or a tank dedicated to similar-sized cichlids) with plenty of rocky hiding places, I don't think there would be any huge problems of aggression. Remember though, I don't have tons of experience with this species. Maybe someone else has more or better information. Good luck with this pretty fish. <-Steve->