Photos! Lakitu's newest and finalist crib! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Lakitu's newest and finalist crib!

I've been doing a lot of reading on a betta forum and while there is and always will be much debate on proper habitats for the lil guys, I feel the 2.5-3 gal Critter Keeper I recently impulse bought will be the best home Lakitu or any of his spawn-siblings will ever get. I went up to PetSmart and got the CK, a driftwood, some silk plants, extra gravel, and some sea shells. 2 Days ago I got my order from online PetSmart of a Betta Therm heater and strip thermometer.
He now has an ideal home and he hasn't been happier. He just doesn't stop now. I mean before he had energy but he is just zip-zooming all over the place now! He's always showing me his scary puffy dragon face (which btw has red stripes on them which I think is just kick ***) Oh, I also split on a package of frozen bloodworms with Lisa and Lakitu's been binging on them playing hunter and all.

It was an inexpensive (modest at least) trip which has made a pretty big deal to my fish who always seemed best kind anyway Oh, his tail is also healing at a much faster rate (taking pics now)

Without further ado, Laki's new groove (part 2):
<floating to acclimate

My moss ball Poof is now a floof I had to tie her down on the driftwood. Anyone have any idea how long it could take for her to attach??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Tail's gettin' better!

Before:

And today!:

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's amazing what a difference a larger habitat can make, huh? How's the heater working? That should help speed up healing, too.

As for the moss ball, it's a Marimo Moss Ball, right? I'm not sure exactly how long it'll take to attach (mine are balls so they stay at the bottom) but I'd imagine it'd attach to driftwood quickly.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

The heater is fine! After I ordered it I read that some people had problems with them over heating or not heating enough (since it's only a 7.5 watt) but I have the thermometer which at a glance tells me what the temp is. It's been stable since I plugged it in, at 79f. I don't know if it's obvious from the pictures but I added the aeration device from the 1 gallon and blocked it with plants so it's aerating (spel?) while not disrupting the water's surface.

Yea, Poof is a marimo moss ball. She split while I was cleaning her -_-' She's tied now with simple thread but since they grow so slow I was wondering. I hope it's soon!

I should be receiving 5 more moss balls and some Indian Almond leaves from ebay. They haven't come today so I expect them Monday or Tuesday. 3 of the balls are gifts and I'm keeping 2. They're strangely addicting!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:46 PM
is a little "special"

That's so aweosme! I'm glad he has such an awesome home! Most people seem to want to keep their bettas in the smallest thing possible, so I'm happy that you care so much about little Lakitu.

My plants were all attached to my driftwood after a month or two. By the time your thread dissolves, it (Or "she" LOL) should be able to stick to the wood on her own.
Did you get Malaysian driftwood?? Be prepared for some oddly colored water!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Well, no matter what size critter is under my care I want the best for them!! I admit, I was naive enough to think bettas were okay in cold water and smal tanks if it was cleaned often. And god knows I was vigilant with my .5 gal tank!!

I hate the bowls and divided tiny tanks that people sell so freely! And when people say, "oh I had a betta before but it didn't do anything" (face palm) sersiously, did they even try to research the fish?!?

Anyway, it's all a learning road.

And not sure what type of driftwood it is, but it had been boiled down before sale and has only colored the tank for the first week. It's clear again I'll keep my eye on the thread and hope Poof is eating it for fibre delicious string fibre!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Pretty I really like how you decorated the tank.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thanks !
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Looks like Lakitu is all happy with that new habitat, really cool design too!

"Play with me and keep me busy! You have your work, your entertainment, and friends. I only have you! " - Unknown

Visit -
- for fun and tips for pets!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

Thank you He loves it! His tail is getting so long! I'm not quite sure if he can still be called a "royal blue" VT bc his tail is more silvery. I saw my neice's royal blue VT yesterday and there's such a difference!!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Newborn Pup

awww I love the small pot and the before wallpaper.
this setup makes me wanna build my own betta tank
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

It's not impossible! I got that tiny pot at Dollarama. The hole is so small in the back that there's no chance of any fish getting stuck in it. It was 33c!!

If you have a betta, part of the fun of ownership is improving their lives. We just moved a couple nights ago and my betta is in the kitchen window. I have moss balls to eat any algae but so far, since it's in indirect light, there hasn't been any algae and it's a perfect addition to our kitchen!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 PM
is a little "special"

BTW, you inspired me to get my own moss ball! LOL. I saw them at this one little fish shop, and I had to get it! So far Squishy likes moving it around, and he sits on it like a chair.
Do they really absorb algae??

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Betta Bomb

LOL Jess!! That's awesome! Squishy loves his squishy butt cusion!

And yes, while marimo moss balls are themselves an algae, they compete with regular algae for food so regular algae cannot survive Fact of the day
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 02:47 PM
is a little "special"

Oooh, that's so neat! I'm really glad that I got it then LOL. I think it's starting to split too, so hopefully I'll have myself a little army of them soon. Next time I go back to that pet store, I think I'll buy more.