Little help :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Little help :)

Okay, i have made my mind up i have a spare 20gal, a heater and filter and i feel that i am ready for some African Dwarf Froggies but i need some help as websites are giving me all different kinds of information and im confused lol!
Well im planning to get a few frogs maybe 5, but i was wondering what other kinds of fish i can keep with them ( not a betta ) that they will be alright to live together without any of them stressing or getting sick.
Also what heat do they need?

Thanks guys!

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 10:55 AM
Newborn Pup

The temp needs to be around 21 - 27C. If kept with most tropical fish you will need to be towards the upper end of that range.

In terms of tank mates the main problem is that most fish will eat any food put in before the frogs get chance too (they are not quick eaters). Its best to either target feed them with a turkey baster, feed them at night or feed them sinking foods.

I would tend to stay away from bottom dwelling fish (which will be directly competing with the frogs for food) and go for mid sized, peaceful community fish. Flame tetras could work fairly well. Larger live bearers such as molleys can also work well but be prepared for the fact that the frogs will eat the young fry.

Make sure the tank has a lot of hiding places and good filtration. If using an internal filter make sure the intakes are well covered to avoid the frogs getting legs trapped or damaged.

Best to use a sand substrate as I have heard of frogs dying from swallowing gravel while eating.

Also make sure that the tank is well covered with no gaps in the lid at all.

Hope that helps a bit

-Paul
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I second what Paul said about the food competition. It's tricky to keep frogs in a community setting like that because the fish are pretty much always going to be faster at dinnertime (African dwarf frogs are really slow feeders). You could try some slow, peaceful fish (cherry barbs might work). Just be prepared to possibly have to partition off the tank/separate the animals. Also keep in mind that you won't be able to just drop food in, you're going to need to target feed to make sure that the frogs get enough .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Thanks guy's you helped me alot
I always like to do my research before hand!
x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."

Tags
frogs