Lobsters As Pets - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Lobsters As Pets

Does anyone know anything about keeping lobsters as pets? Where do you get freshwater lobsters from and what's the largest type of freshwater lobster? What size tank do you need and all that good stuff...

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 01:15 AM

I never knew people kept lobsters as pets. Those claws can't be fun! Here is a link to a website I googled: http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net...obsters_00.asp

Strange stuff there!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 04:20 AM

My brother had 2 lobsters and 1 day they went missing from the tank.
They searched the house and they were found a few days later squeezed down behind the bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Curmudgeon

Lobsters aren't freshwater.

You might be thinking of crayfish ...or "crawdads".

You can keep them just like any other native freshwater animal.

Clean water, proper temp (cooler than most tropicals).

They are scavengers, so you'll feed them by putting stuff on the bottom. You'll need to clean up after them pretty good, or have a very good filtration system.

It will also require some monitoring of the water for pH and ammonia ...but that should be done anyway for some fish.

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I've read on the internet that there are freshwater lobsters, but they only get to be the size of your hand. They may be crayfish that are just called lobsters.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Curmudgeon

You are correct. There are animals called freshwater lobsters, and they are actually crayfish.

A good example is the Giant Freshwater Lobster from Tasmania. It is one of, if not THE largest in the world. However, taxonomically speaking, I believe they still classified as one of the "crayfish" ..although it does have its own unique genus.

Others like the Blue Lobster, or Australian Yabbie, or Red Claw are still technically crayfish too. They are the smaller ones, like the ones you mentioned, that you can hold in your hand..

They look a lot like lobsters, but on the inside there are quite a few differences. I'm not really an expert on crustaceans, so that's pretty much the limit on my knowledge.

If there are "true" freshwater lobsters out there I stand corrected, but I'm at least "pretty sure" that if it's freshwater, it's not a true lobster of the genus "Homarus". Heck, even Spiny Lobster's are not even true lobsters.

I have raised crayfish in aquariums, and they can be very entertaining.

All that aside, when I first read your post, I thought you were talking "local" animals. Like what you'd find in Kentucky lakes and streams.

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 11:23 AM

I've had crayfish too. I loved the little guys. You have to be careful about putting other fish in with them because if they are near to its size it can eat them. Like someone above said, they are scavengers ... I used shrimp pellets most of the time to feed mine. They also appreciate a hiding place ... maybe a cave made out of rocks or something. It makes them feel more secure. Also, every once in a while they shed their exoskeleton. Kinda creepy, but cool.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 11:56 AM
Herp Nerd

Not only are they scavengers, they will grab pretty much anything that gets into their range. Including fish and other crayfish. Anything kept with them has to be big enough to avoid being grabbed. I've currently got the blues. They are very cool.

There are several species of saltwater lobster available in the aquarium trade as well, but they're pretty much the same way and need to be kept alone or with big fish because theres a chance anything small enough for them to catch will be eaten.

Rav

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

...Maybe I should just get an oscar...Which reminds me of this really weird dream I had about two weeks ago. I had a dream that my favorite hamster, Dobby, got out of his cage and fell into a fishtank with an oscar in it and got eaten... It was WEIRD! Don't know why I'm telling this... It was just weird.

Mom to:

Fernando

Benny

RIP Arthur