Looking into more live plants - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Looking into more live plants

I have Horntwort right now and it is growing well but I want to get more nice plants. Like these;
  • Giant Hygrophila
  • Dwarf Bacopa
  • Elodea
  • Dwarf Ambulia
  • Gayii
  • Mermaid Weed
  • Giant Anubias
  • "Coffee Leaf" Anubias
  • Brazilian Pennywort
  • Creeping Penny (or Golden Moneywort, Yellow Creeping Jenny)
  • Java Fern
  • Dwarf Sagittaria
  • Afzeli Anubias
  • Green Wendtii Crypt
  • Needle Spike Rush
  • Baby Tears
  • Windelov´s Fern
  • Dwarf Hairgrass I really love the look of this one!!
  • Crystalwort
  • Willow Moss
  • Java Moss
What have your experiences been with these and how easy should it be to find them? I have searched on them and they all sound good but need help on which ones is best (hardy) and more commonly found.

Thanks!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GeishaGirl; 05-28-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 02:33 PM

I have java ferns, and can attest to its hardiness since I have it in with my ACF. They're notorious for uprooting plants, and she's no exception! It's doing just fine though, and I think you could find it at most places that sell fish/aquarium supplies.

I have no experience with any of the others, though.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 03:57 PM

I have had good luck with java fern and java moss is growing pretty nicely lately... 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

These are my experiences...

Elodea- I've been keeping this plant for years. It can survive in moderate lighting but does much better in strong lighting. It seems to do especially well if very small amounts of calcium are added to the water...even in a low light tank. I read this a few months ago and so far it seems to be true. It needs to be trimmed and the trimmings can be planted. It does best when left floating or weighed down slightly. Don't completely bury the bottom or it'll rot. Let it anchor on it's own.

"Coffee Leaf" Anubias- I think I kept this plant, hehe. It was a looong time ago. It was in a low-light tank and did very well. I didn't use fertilizer either....

Brazilian Pennywort- This plant was doing well until it suddenly died for no reason. It might've been the heat? I don't know since I was out of town. It was in a well-lit tank with fertilizer and liquid carbon.

Creeping Penny- I had this plant for six or seven months. My fish enjoyed nibbling on it, haha. But it grew very tall and did great in my high-lighting tank. It didn't survive a move to another tank and I no longer have it.

Java Fern- This is an extremely hardy plant that can survive in almost any tank. Mine is in a tank without any form of lighting . I add fertilizer but not liquid carbon. It's attached to a rock...I don't recommend burying the roots in the substrate.

Dwarf Hairgrass- I kept this plant but it didn't do very well. I'm wondering if maybe it had been originally grown out of water. I dunno. It was in a tank with plain gravel so that might've been the issue. Then again, it died when I was on vacation so who knows . Either way, keep it in a tank with good lighting and a plant substrate and/or fertilizer. CO2 or liquid carbon would be good as well.

Java Moss- This plant can survive in most conditions...just tie it to a piece of driftwood or a rock.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 01:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

what kind of liquid carbon do you use, Sasami?

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
what kind of liquid carbon do you use, Sasami?
Flourish Excel. As far as I know it's the only liquid carbon available .

Flourish Excel

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

sasami- do you use carbon dioxide in your aquariums? i know that the recommended dose is lower then the norm found in natural rivers but i always worried about harming my fish

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
sasami- do you use carbon dioxide in your aquariums? i know that the recommended dose is lower then the norm found in natural rivers but i always worried about harming my fish
Nope, I don't. CO2 systems are great but my plants don't need them. I use liquid carbon which is almost as good, though.

You can buy tests to make sure the CO2 isn't getting out of control. I'd also run an airstone at night.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thanks! i think im gonna try that

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I was wondering what plant I can have that would require the LEAST amount of work and still look beautiful!

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl

I was wondering what plant I can have that would require the LEAST amount of work and still look beautiful!
That would depend a lot on the tank .

What sort of lighting and substrate do you have? Do you use fertilizers or anything?

~Stephanie

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

I have a mix of sand and small pepples (1/2 and 1/2 in the tank) I just have basic lighting and never knew about fertilizers....

私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeishaGirl
I have a mix of sand and small pepples (1/2 and 1/2 in the tank) I just have basic lighting and never knew about fertilizers....
I'm not sure what you mean by "basic" lighting. Is it incandescent or flourescent? Those are the two kinds of lighting systems that come with most tanks. Incandescent bulbs are like regular light bulbs while flourescent bulbs are long tubes. Wattage would help too but I'm guessing it's low if it's the bulbs that came with the tank.

There are lots of fertilizers for aquatic plants . You can get tablets which are placed near or under the roots or liquid which is just added to the water. Which one is better depends on the kinds of plants you have. You can also get different liquid vitamins but those aren't needed for most tanks. Liquid carbon (called "Flourish Excel") is handy, too. It's kind of a substitute for CO2 systems but not quite as effective .

~Stephanie

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Sasami, what kind of substrate would you get to grow plants?

Also, have you ever tried growing Moss Balls? I saw those today on the aquariacentral forum and thought they were really cool!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambieruns10
Sasami, what kind of substrate would you get to grow plants?

Also, have you ever tried growing Moss Balls? I saw those today on the aquariacentral forum and thought they were really cool!
Depends on the plants you want to keep . And the fish you have (I'll explain that in a sec).

If you have hardy plants, ones that get most of their nutrients through their leaves, ones that float, or ones that are tied to driftwood/rocks then plain gravel/pebbles/sand is usually fine . Although you may want to use a fertilizer or liquid carbon.

But other plants may need (or just do better in) actual plant substrate. There are many on the market but Flourite is one of the best. However, it is quite sharp and isn't good if you have bottom-dwelling fish like cory cats or burrowing animals such as crabs. Eco Earth is another popular brand and that one is safe for bottom-dwellers . For most substrates like that you can use them alone or layered with sand and/or gravel. I personally do the latter but mostly because it's cheaper, lol. And that way bottom-dwellers can still tunnel in the sand .

Marimo Moss Balls are really neat, huh? I haven't kept them...they aren't sold here. I'll probably eventually order one online. They are so cute! And they aren't supposed to be that hard to care for. I want one for my frog tank since it's low-light.

~Stephanie

Tags
cory cats