Makeshift Fish Tank Stand? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Lightbulb Makeshift Fish Tank Stand?

I just got a 110 gallon for the koi for actually a pretty good deal. It was supposed to come with a filter and stand, but the guy was stupid and forgot the filter. The stand looks horrible, its just thin strips of metal that is really really really rusted out. I don't feel comfortable putting the tank on it, because I don't think it would hold very well. I would always worry about it.

So, what is everyone's ideas on making your own fish tank stand? 110 gallon is going to be pretty dang heavy...I was thinking maybe stacking a good amount of cement blocks...Any suggestions? THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well, you really gotta get a good idea of what your floor can handle. Is it a main level or a basement or second level?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM
Curmudgeon

I've used concrete blocks in the past, but like Ozzyangel stated, you need to check and see if the floor can hold it. That's a lot of weight.

Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

It'll be in the garage, I don't think the floorboads would handle it in the house. The garage is a cement floor.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

So, ground level
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello Earthling

You could just put it on the ground?

If not you could build something out of wood insuring that you are providing proper and sufficient structural support. Cement blocks would also do but again make sure that everything is supported.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Before I got the stand for my 55 gal, I had it on the floor, and it was really hard to clean. The gravel sucker didn't do a very good job when it didn't have the gravity working for it. Also, I would like to look at them at eye-level.

I do have a lot of scrap wood peices laying around my house, but I'm not sure I trust myself to make something really structurally sound. So I think cement blocks are the way to go. I think I will just stack them in layers, one on top of another. . . Would cement blocks hold?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Sounds good, you may have to cut the blocks to fit so it sits level and so your tank doesn't shatter in half but I have used blocks and when done right looks good and you can paint it to look more appealing.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

cut the blocks? How so?

Plans have changed I guess... I just found out the ammonia levels are sky high in my 55 gal, and maybe giving up the fish is the best option. I mean I knew I couldn't keep them forever...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by becrac16 View Post
cut the blocks? How so?

Plans have changed I guess... I just found out the ammonia levels are sky high in my 55 gal, and maybe giving up the fish is the best option. I mean I knew I couldn't keep them forever...
You mean you knew you'd have to give them up when they got too big?

....Or you knew they wouldn't live forever?

Bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You could take the cement blocks to a hardware store or supply store and have them cut the blocks for you, just take measurements of the tank and blocks

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for all the advice, but I gave away my koi the other day. They just got too big and were pooping like crazy and the bacteria couldn't keep up with it, so they had to go to a pond :/

So I'm trying to sell the 110 gal. Hopefully someone will buy it without a stand!

Tags
110 gallon, stand, tank