male betta, swimming sideways. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy male betta, swimming sideways.

i found my male betta, kumori, belly halfway up, i tapped on his glass, and he moved, i just changed his water, cleaned his tank, and put in a 1/2 tsp of freshwater aquarium salt, i noticed, when i first saw him, that his stomach looked really puffy, and i wondered had his babysitters fed him too much? idk what else i can do, his stomach looks a little less puffy now, but he is still , sideways. please, anyone?

-kayleen- <3
Tigger Jersey Komet Pickle [my kitties]
Kaida
[crowntail betta]
Temperance [bearded dragon]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- click to help me grow! :]

Last edited by kumori_xx; 11-28-2008 at 07:53 PM. Reason: too much babble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 12:48 PM
is a little "special"

My guess is hes having a problem with his... Ummm, whats is called... Air bladder, or gull bladder... Something like that! XD Im blanking on exactly what the name for the bladder thing it is, but it keep them swimming normaly. When fish start swimming upside down like that, it usually means somethings off with their *insert right name here* bladder. C:

If thats whats wrong, theres nothing really that you can do... Keeping good water quality always helps tho, and the aquiarium salt you put in is a good thing too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Swim bladder?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 04:03 PM
is a little "special"

YES THAT!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's definitely a problem with his swim bladder, but there are a lot of possible causes.

It could be overfeeding, and if that's true, that's actually good news since it's treatable. Just fast him for a couple days, and then try feeding him a small piece of a cooked pea (skin removed).

I would also recommend getting your water tested to make sure your water parameters are in the correct ranges.

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
sick betta.