Mean Molly - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

Mean Molly

I have a very aggresive Molly...

i know that sounds wierd, I mean I was told they were semi aggresive, but every thing I was told and read did not prepare me for how mean this darn fish is...it attacks everything. Right now I have it in a seprate tank because he has killed other fish and still attacking more. they are from the same tank in the pet store, the only new thing is the babies that the other 2 molly's had...I mean everyone and all the articles say that they are fairly nice, but darn this fish is mean...he attacks the plecotomuses and the Loaches...it attacks the other Mollies...its just so mean...other than keeping it seprate does anyone know if there could be a reason its turned so aggressive?

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Pet store mollies are very, very inbred and can be prone to behavioral/medical problems because of that.

If he suddenly "snapped", though, it's possible that he's sick. Sometimes fish with internal parasites/disease will change in behavior.

Either way, I would keep him separated from other fish and keep a close eye on him to make sure he's acting normal otherwise.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

We have decided to keep him in his new tank for good unless we buy a newer tank for him...the other Mollies are so sweet and my tank is all happy now that hes gone...the Guppies are no longer hiding and the pleco's are out and about...even the other Mollies seem to be happier...he was just constantly going after other fish...we are considering removing all the Mollies into their own tank just in case...

Thank you so much for the help, we are going to take the water into to be tested tomorrow as well as see if maybe we can find him a better home (newer tank a little bigger) I just hope they aren't sick because I do love them all, even the big ol' meanie lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
We have decided to keep him in his new tank for good unless we buy a newer tank for him...the other Mollies are so sweet and my tank is all happy now that hes gone...the Guppies are no longer hiding and the pleco's are out and about...even the other Mollies seem to be happier...he was just constantly going after other fish...we are considering removing all the Mollies into their own tank just in case...

Thank you so much for the help, we are going to take the water into to be tested tomorrow as well as see if maybe we can find him a better home (newer tank a little bigger) I just hope they aren't sick because I do love them all, even the big ol' meanie lol
Mollies aren't normally too aggressive so you don't need to separate the others. They're very social fish .

Sounds like a good plan . How are those babies doing, by the way?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Corsetkisser

they are getting so big...they come to the top at feeding time...they are precious

I was surprised to see them when it happend, but now I am just happy to have them...they are almost all the orange and black or black and silver except one solid black one. The pet store said I did good keeping the 10 alive and healthy They are so fun to watch, they love the frozen shrimp so much, and they love peas, we gave them a pea a few days ago and they all went nuts for it lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:48 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDancer View Post
they are getting so big...they come to the top at feeding time...they are precious

I was surprised to see them when it happend, but now I am just happy to have them...they are almost all the orange and black or black and silver except one solid black one. The pet store said I did good keeping the 10 alive and healthy They are so fun to watch, they love the frozen shrimp so much, and they love peas, we gave them a pea a few days ago and they all went nuts for it lol
That's great to hear!

Baby mollies are really adorable...there are some in our brackish tank right now.

~Stephanie