Photos! Meet Umi :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Meet Umi :D

He was labeled as a half moon but I am not fully sure tail shape is right but usually HM's have HUGE finage He has a 5 gallon hex planted in the back and not in the front so he can hide when he wants and swim in the open when he wants Didnt get pictures of the full tank yet will soon

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Looks like a male plakat (who I guess could end up as a delta tail but it's definitely not a halfmoon) or a female possible delta tail (do you know the sex of the fish?).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

He is definitely male and have you heard of a half moon plakat? the dorsal and tail fins line up so that he looks like a half moon plakat

Or a delta ... but I am not sure either way the fish is a boy I sexed him

Proud Mommy to-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

Umi's tank ( ignore the snails Umi is slowly killing and eating them)

Proud Mommy to-

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
He is definitely male and have you heard of a half moon plakat? the dorsal and tail fins line up so that he looks like a half moon plakat

Or a delta ... but I am not sure either way the fish is a boy I sexed him
I've seen a lot of halfmoon plakats but he's not one. The finnage doesn't match. If anything, he's a delta tail. Or at least according to the photos . Do you have any pictures of him flaring? Maybe he's just not holding his fins up much.

If those plants are plastic I'd be careful. If he is a delta or halfmoon it'll be extremely easy for his fins to get caught. If they're silk than nevermind .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

they are VERY soft plastic I have an incandescent bulb so live are not an option and around here all the silk look SO fake. I know plastic is not usually a good option because of fin tearing but these are extremely soft no sharp edges and He is constantly checked on

I had the same plants with my VT and they didnt even bother HIM

Proud Mommy to-

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Betta Bomb

Marimo moss balls are a good choice for low light tanks. He seems plakat to me too, I've been quite frequent on betta forums. HM is different tail. Might I also suggest a flat leaf plant towards the top of the tank (1-2 inches from the surface) so he can laze about and get air easy? Lakitu loved his but he needs to wait until I get another. I hear ZooMed ones deter and emit metal, ebay Indian Almond Leaves. Those are good and cheap and release good toxins into the water

But I definitely recommend live plants, moss balls is the way to go
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

This tank cant even keep Java alive so live plants are not an option this is an incandescent so to plants its no light

As for Betta forums I am part of several and know plenty about Bettas. He is not a half moon I thought I said he was labeled as a halfmoon.

And there is another leaf as well that is recommended

Proud Mommy to-

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
This tank cant even keep Java alive so live plants are not an option this is an incandescent so to plants its no light

As for Betta forums I am part of several and know plenty about Bettas. He is not a half moon I thought I said he was labeled as a halfmoon.

And there is another leaf as well that is recommended
Incandescent bulbs work fine for certain low-light plants. I've kept several planted aquariums using them.

I actually did an experimental tank that didn't have any lighting besides any light already in the room (which wasn't much). The plants grew a bit slower but still did OK.

So if you ever want to try again you could probably do it .

Also, you said he was labeled as a HM but you weren't sure what he was. Purple-Hops and I gave you our opinions. I don't see what the problem is? You hadn't said he was a Plakat so we were just trying to help. No need to get defensive about your betta knowledge, I know you're knowledgeable but not everyone knows the varieties .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Betta Bomb

Some betta types/finnage can be hard to tell due to bad breeding and stuff. Anyway, moss balls are kinds of hard to kill I was on ebay last night and someone in Malaysia sells them dirt cheap, free shipping.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Moss balls are very hard to kill!

I have one living in a cup in my kitchen. I keep meaning to move it into my aquatic frog tank but for some reason keep forgetting. It's been in a coffee cup sitting on a shelf in my kitchen with no lighting or anything for like 4 months now lol and it still looks perfectly fine. I really like the moss balls, they are very easy to care for, hard to kill, and I think they look cool as well.

Pretty fish, by the way!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

I'll try a couple low light plants

As for mentioning plakat I did on at least one of the places I posted this so I thought I had mentioned it here too

Proud Mommy to-

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I third the suggestion of moss balls, they're ridiculously hardy and adaptable. I've found anubias to be the same and have kept it without light.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Zoo Keeper

actually anubias is the other plant I killed ....

Proud Mommy to-

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
actually anubias is the other plant I killed ....
What species and how was it planted?

~Stephanie