might be getting a new female betta - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I'm sorry for your loss .

A 2-gallon actually is hard to safely cycle...especially without live plants. You're better off doing a weekly or biweekly 100% water change.
Oh ok, can you help with step by step ways of doing this? sadly cleo did not make it either she got sick last nigth and I tried to help her as best I could but she didn't make it til morning...I really want to take a new apraoch to my fishes and try to prepare the fish tanks before they come even into the house so any help would be great on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
Oh ok, can you help with step by step ways of doing this? sadly cleo did not make it either she got sick last nigth and I tried to help her as best I could but she didn't make it til morning...I really want to take a new apraoch to my fishes and try to prepare the fish tanks before they come even into the house so any help would be great on the matter.
oh and just something else to add I am planning on getting live plants for the both the tanks...just not decided on what kind yet going to look into it some...but yeah any helpful advise would be great. Kind of feeling a little better I got a fairly nice score on my last History test so oddly enough kind of perked me up a bit.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
The problem with a 2-gallon is that it's such a small amount of space that small changes can cause the cycle to crash...over-feeding, adding a new animal, a plant dying, changing too little or too much water, etc.

So instead of cycling it I would recommend changing the water every week or so. Take the betta out and keep it in a small container while cleaning the tank. Then just dump out the old water, wash the gravel, and fill it back up with fresh dechlorinated water of the same temperature.

Oh, and it's usually recommended that you unplug the heater and wait a few minutes before taking it out of the water.

You CAN cycle a tank, especially if you have live plants and a decent filter. But I think it might be easier for you to do 100% water changes if you just want a simple set-up with a single betta .

It might sound strange but larger tanks are actually more stable and easier to maintain. So maybe in the future you could look into getting a bigger one. 10-gallons are often given away for cheap or free and they aren't much more then a 2-gallon, surprisingly.

Here is a thread I posted about cycling, by the way: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f77/c...ium-43789.html

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Oh, and it's usually recommended that you unplug the heater and wait a few minutes before taking it out of the water.
Yes! I leave the heaters unplugged about 10-15 minutes before taking them out of the water,because they can actually burn! I have not had it happen,but my mom and my sister did!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
aquarium salt, bigger tank, female betta, female bettas, fish tank, male betta, pet mice, pet store