might be getting a new female betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

might be getting a new female betta

Hi there all...well a few weeks ago my mother's and I's red male betta passed away and we have both kind of been looking into the possablity of getting a new one. lol at first my mom wanted to do this just cause she misses having someone to hang out with in the living room...but I saw the most adorable little female ...she had a white body and purple fins. I am seriously thinking of going to the pet store this friday seeing if she is still there and bringing her back home.

I will let you guys know what all happens by Friday lol I am hoping she will be at the store and I can pick her up and give her a loving home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

You will have to share pics!!

You do know that female bettas need heat and filtration,right? They also need to be in bigger tanks then males,like a 5 gallon for example.If you already know this,I apologize for running my mouth!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
You will have to share pics!!

You do know that female bettas need heat and filtration,right? They also need to be in bigger tanks then males,like a 5 gallon for example.If you already know this,I apologize for running my mouth!
Yeah I did remember hearing that the recommended space for girls is 2 gallons which what this girl will be in. I am fairly sure that will be plenty of space my other girl is in a 2 gallon too and she is always swimming around and exploring I am planning on getting heaters for both tanks fairly soon but luckily both of my tanks do have light on em so that will give them a little bit of heat until I can get heaters ordered for them. And yes I do realize my fish need filtration I pretty much make it a rule to keep all my fish in filtrated tanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Guarded by Waffles

Can't you put more than 1 female beta in a tank? I thought they got along, it was just the males that fought

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah I think you can but the tank needs to be like a 10g size I think....and sadly all of my 10 gallon tanks are being used or will be getting used fairly soon. For some pet mice I am getting, and some hermies I am getting soon.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:52 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yep,you can have more then one female together.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yep you can keep em together and I would do that but I have used 2g before and they seem to work fine, I just can't house several right now cuz like I said I don't have any tanks that would be a good enough size to house several of them in. And I just happen to have a 2g tank that is empty at the moment so I am going to end up using that but like I said if I need upgrade the thing I can.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I just thought I would let everyone know how everything turned out I got my "first" new girl on Sunday in the afternoon right after I got back home with my Boyfriend from Kansas City. She was not as healthy as when I first saw her and some I had to give her some medical attension. Sadly she was just too bad off and not make it any more then 4 hours but I am conifident in that I gave her a loving home for the few hours she was here. I went back to the pet store I got her from and they have me a refund on her and got me a new little girl that actually looked a like her and was fair more healthier. The first one I had named Betty...and now the seond is name Rosey...Rosey is doing very well and seems to be enjoying swiming around her 2 gallon tank exploring...I am hoping to pick up some plants to put in the tank with her fairly soon. I just got a new cave for her since the old one was not in the best of shape.
And I am planning on putting that in her tank some time today when I get back home for the afternoon.

I might need some advise on something I have noticed that Rosey's tail looks like its been nipped a little the rest of her looks just fine is there anything I can do to help her heal the tail and get it looking full again. She was in a Community tank so I am assuming that it was a tail nipping inceident. Maybe some aquarium salt would be good for her?

Also in a few months time from now I am planning on picking up two new bettas this time probably two males. One is going to be an all white Half Moon that I am getting from a breeder, and the other is going to be a Crowntail that I am also getting from a breeder but this girl is more local so I can easily meet up with her and pick the boy up. I will post up pictures of Rosey and the boys ASAP
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala83 View Post
I might need some advise on something I have noticed that Rosey's tail looks like its been nipped a little the rest of her looks just fine is there anything I can do to help her heal the tail and get it looking full again. She was in a Community tank so I am assuming that it was a tail nipping inceident. Maybe some aquarium salt would be good for her?
Just keep the water clean and maybe add some Melafix to help it heal faster . Aquarium salt should help prevent infections.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Just keep the water clean and maybe add some Melafix to help it heal faster . Aquarium salt should help prevent infections.
Great Thanks! lol quick question where can I get Melafix? at like wal-mart or should I get some from like a pet store? Rosey is already adjusting to the house very nicely she is just wayy cute! Really likes her new hom she keeps getting in under the rocks and burrowing in things like Cleo did not that long ago. lol I guess the girls must like to dig. I still really need to get some new floating plants for both Cleo and Rosey so they can have spots to sit and hang out and chill, I got Rosey a new little ceramic cave a few days ago at Wal-Mart should I do anything major when preparing it to go into her tank? Since she has been swiming all over her 2 gallon tank I would assume that she would love to have a nice big cave to explore as well. lol hopefully I can find some good AA batteries so and take pictures of Rosey to post up here.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 11:30 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have seen Melafix at Wal-Mart.So check there before you check your pet store,as it is most likely cheaper!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post
I have seen Melafix at Wal-Mart.So check there before you check your pet store,as it is most likely cheaper!
Yeah I figure so! thanks for the advise.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well sadly I woke up this morning and Rosey was gone! I think I did not cycle the tank correctly that seems to be the only reason I could think of since she was perfectly healthy but only lasted about a week. I am going and getting the tank water tested today to see just what all needs to be done before I put another fish in the tank.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

well I have good news the water was just fine so apparently I have been cycling it just fine. What they recommended for me to do was to throw out the rocks in the tank and replace them since they might have bleach residue still on them. And to throughly the wash the tank out with hot water. They also recommended that I buy my Bettas from a different pet store since I have had two fish that have not been to successful from that specific store.

I will let you all know the progress of getting the tank re-cycled and finding a new fish to put in the tank hopefully I will have better luck then these two girls.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 01:29 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry for your loss .

A 2-gallon actually is hard to safely cycle...especially without live plants. You're better off doing a weekly or biweekly 100% water change.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
aquarium salt, bigger tank, female betta, female bettas, fish tank, male betta, pet mice, pet store