Mikey laid eggs - AGAIN! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

Mikey laid eggs - AGAIN!

I can't believe this fertile Myrtle fish! She laid eggs again! There are still no other fish in with her. She has recently been moved from the 30 gallon to a 75. We got her a friend but Peaches is still in a 30 gallon in QT. I don't understand this little girl and now we are worried she will wind up egg bound one of these times. She seems to be ok right now. Not herself but still ok. I am guess it's tiring getting them out and both her daddy and I have tried to act like the male and chased her a bit around the tank to try and get her to release those eggs. I hope it's the right thing to do but the other way of squeezing her is not really an option since it can result in death a couple days later due to ruptured ovaries. I just don't get why she keeps doing this since they aren't supposed to unless there is a male around. I am starting to wonder if she has eyes for my husband or something...lol...
We just don't want anything to happen to her. I don't think her daddy could take loosing her - he absolutely adores his fish and has already lost two this summer. And loosing Greta was so hard on him he is only just getting over her now. Any suggestions on how to keep her from egg laying?

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Hello Earthling

I don't think fish can get egg bound....

Maybe the large water change stimulated her to lay more eggs.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Fish can get egg bound, Kayla. It's actually common in some species.

Hmm. While they aren't supposed to lay eggs without a male around it does happen sometimes. I can't think of a way to get her to stop, though. Honestly, she's probably doing it because she's so happy and healthy--which aren't things you'd want to change.

If she's managed to get the eggs out on her own/reabsorb them then she'll most likely continue to do so. There isn't much you can do to prevent her from getting egg bound (besides proper care and that's already being given)--it's really up to nature. By the way, squeezing the eggs out isn't really something that should be done unless the fish is already egg bound (and even then it's quite dangerous as you mentioned). Epsom salts are known to help but it's mostly up to the fish...there aren't really any meds or anything.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Hello Earthling

Really.... Interesting

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys! She seems to be done laying eggs. Her daddy cleaned them out last night. He tested her water today and the ammonia is not 0 ppm but it's not .25 ppm either - it's in between. We are not sure if that is because of the egg laying or if he was feeding her a bit too much - still one goldfish in a 75 gallon I didn't think the ammonia would raise. Of course he is keeping a close eye on it. He also added some salt to her tank. She doesn't look to puffy to me today - but she looks sad. She is bottom sitting but her dorsal fin is straight up. And as soon as she sees you she gets up. It's just so sad to see her sitting there.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm, there shouldn't really be any ammonia so watch to make sure it drops again. How old is your test kit, out of curiosity? It's also possible that the test kit is old and needs to be replaced.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Jay cleaned out her filter today. Rinsed the sponges out under running water. Rinsed the biological filter pieces with tank water. He just tested the water again and the tube looks a bit more green than before. The test kit is new this year - we had to toss an old one because it was expired. So he will be adding ammonia chips to her filter material. He just said he hopes he didn't mess up the biological filter but he is always careful not to use tap water on the biological part and he never uses tap water to refill the canister - only tank water. UGH! Poor Mikey.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You probably didn't destroy the cycle but it might have been disrupted a bit by the move. If that's the case, it should settle on it's own. To keep the ammonia down in the meantime do frequent water changes. I think you use Prime conditioner, right? If that's the case, don't bother with the ammonia chips. The Prime should be keeping the water safe and the chips will just prevent the tank from fixing its cycle (remember, initially the beneficial bacteria actually need some ammonia).

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
Just thought I would let you know Mikey is fine now. Yesterday was probably the first full day she was absolutely fine - but she did show progress every day.
And the ammonia is settling down. I had not realized they need a little of it. Maybe that is why Jay was not as freaked as I thought he should be.
Oh and he doesn't use Prime any more. He started using it just when he had all the problems before and we lost Greta. He went back to using stress coat. We usually buy the pond sized bottles that are more concentrated. They are also more expensive but he feels they are worth it. I know most fish people use Prime. Maybe he will again one day but right now he is more comfortable with the stress coat. After what happened I try and stay out of his fish care - I seem to get blamed for things all too easily....
Peaches is doing well. That fish is so darn adorable! We are looking forward to QT being over so she and Mikey can be together. I hope they like each other!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny

Tags
eggs, fancy tail, goldfish