more bad luck with my 65gal........... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

more bad luck with my 65gal...........

ohhhhhhhhh...i think im gonna get a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so i did a water change like two days ago...and now today to my horror.........THE WATER TURNED GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what can i do???????

in the past...i can never rid this problem...theres a formula out there that should kill the algae but supposedly not the plants.........what in the world should i do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Title Thief Victim

Aww, Im soryr you're have bad luck with it, I dont know anything about fish tnaks, but hopfully someone can help

Carissasaurus Rex

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Here are my suggestions:

1. Reduce the amount of lighting. Obviously you don't want to leave the lights off for too long because of the plants but try leaving them off for a couple extra hours.

2. Use less fertilizer if you're using one.

3. Do a partial water change and remember to vacuum the gravel.

4. Test your nitrates. If they are high then that's your problem. You need to do more water changes in that case.

5. Add some hardy, floating plants. I recommend duckweed, water sprite, and hornwort. They'll out-compete the algae for nutrients.

6. Feed the fish less food. And make absolutely sure that they eat it all.

I wouldn't use chemicals, personally. Some of them claim to be plant-safe but I've heard of people losing plants anyways. Plus, they'll get rid of the algae but not the problem and algae will probably show up again.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ok thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
the food shouldnt be the problem, i was actually gonna use fertilizer for my yellow plants..but i might hold off...i think i might add more plants since they are relatively small now in comparision to the tank..and while i usually have the light on from 7am to 5pm, i may try just 7am to like 2pm??
and im doing a nitrate test, even thought i did it like two days ago, but i did not do a gravel cleaning thought

i will post some updates..thanks to the rescue..the aquarium is giving me such a hard time......

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
ok thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
the food shouldnt be the problem, i was actually gonna use fertilizer for my yellow plants..but i might hold off...i think i might add more plants since they are relatively small now in comparision to the tank..and while i usually have the light on from 7am to 5pm, i may try just 7am to like 2pm??
and im doing a nitrate test, even thought i did it like two days ago, but i did not do a gravel cleaning thought

i will post some updates..thanks to the rescue..the aquarium is giving me such a hard time......
No problem, definately keep us updated and good luck .

I remember a while ago I had a hair algae problem when I upgraded the lighting system on one of my tanks. I just did extra water changes, cut down on fertilizer and lighting, and added some water sprite. It went away pretty fast .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
No problem, definately keep us updated and good luck .

I remember a while ago I had a hair algae problem when I upgraded the lighting system on one of my tanks. I just did extra water changes, cut down on fertilizer and lighting, and added some water sprite. It went away pretty fast .
how many hours did you leave it on? and should i get more plants and sprite in general?

im gonna post a pic prior to my problem of the plants i currently have

i bet you thats part of the problem isnt it? not enough plants

i have read that in general aquariums the are under 18in in height should get at least 3watts per gallon...and for heavily planted aquariums it should be 3-4watts and sometimes up to 5

well since my aquarium is 24in in height i figured that about 5watts would be ok..esp since i was hoping to have tall plants that would reach to the top of the aquarium..but of course right now they are short...and i guess theres too much lighting bc they are not fully grown to compete enough with the algae....blah...getting a good aquarium established with live plants is definitely no walk in the park.......

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

Last edited by Skratikans; 02-24-2007 at 12:19 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I leave the light on for 8-10 hours a day with the average being 9 hours . And I have some pretty delicate plants but they are fine since the lighting is strong when the lights are on. I don't see any particularly finicky plants in your tank so I think 8 hours of lighting would be enough...maybe even less .

Definately get some more plants and try to get fast growing ones like I said . It will help a lot.

And let me know what that nitrate test says. Nitrates are the reason for most algae problems.

~Stephanie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I leave the light on for 8-10 hours a day with the average being 9 hours . And I have some pretty delicate plants but they are fine since the lighting is strong when the lights are on. I don't see any particularly finicky plants in your tank so I think 8 hours of lighting would be enough...maybe even less .

Definately get some more plants and try to get fast growing ones like I said . It will help a lot.

And let me know what that nitrate test says. Nitrates are the reason for most algae problems.
ok, im gonna do 8hrs...since its 5watts per gallon maybe even 7hrs....im gonna do all the recommendations you suggested and am gonna get some fast growing plants like sprite...do you know of any others that would work...im afraid that with duckwee they would get trapped in my filter...

THANKS....this is lifting a boulder off my chest

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
ok, im gonna do 8hrs...since its 5watts per gallon maybe even 7hrs....im gonna do all the recommendations you suggested and am gonna get some fast growing plants like sprite...do you know of any others that would work...im afraid that with duckwee they would get trapped in my filter...

THANKS....this is lifting a boulder off my chest
Hornwort is always good like I said . Anacharis usually grows pretty quickly, too, but some people have trouble keeping it.

Java ferns don't exactly grow fast but they are hardy and will help .

Creeping jenny grows fast but it doesn't like really warm temperatures. So you could try that depending on how warm you keep your tank.

Hmm. I don't know if the duckweed would get sucked up. I wouldn't think so unless you had an insanely powerful filter but it's always possible.

~Stephanie

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

well i just got a bunch of plants, and got phos x, which eliminates phosphorus...which was one suggestion by the tank guy who i spoke it....so well see how this goes...

i will hold you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

BAXTER- January 30, 2007