Mouth Problem - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Mouth Problem

So Ive had 4 Harlequin Rasboras for a year next month. They have been healthy pretty much that entire time actually haha. yay!
They have always had a white spot on the tip of their lower jaw and I always wondered about it...

Anyways, about 4 days ago I came home and noticed one of the rasboras couldnt shut his mouth all the way. Since then it seems that it gets better, then gets worse again. Sometimes it will be (mostly) shut when I walk in, other times it looks like its pushed forward and open. He is still eating from what I can tell, and is still active. Although he is breathing a little faster than the others.
I do water changes every week, with siphon. All live plants, temp around 80. 29gal.
When I do water tests everything is good. No ammonia nitrite. there was a TAD nitrate the last time. Im going to do a water test today.

any suggestions on whats wrong??
I really dont want to loose one since they have always been together...

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

He doesn't have any other symptoms?

It sounds like he injured his jaw somehow. The fact that he's still eating is a really good sign. Keep an eye on him and make sure the water stays clean .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I got some pictures of him this morning. If you look at the rasboras around him in some of the pictures you can see that his jaw looks different. Today he could close it pretty well. I didnt see him eat though, but then again I was taking pictures of them lol

Heres the link...
http://nik8806.smugmug.com/gallery/4...84491533_SfsmV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

maybe he has an overbite? lol i really don't know

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
I got some pictures of him this morning. If you look at the rasboras around him in some of the pictures you can see that his jaw looks different. Today he could close it pretty well. I didnt see him eat though, but then again I was taking pictures of them lol

Heres the link...
http://nik8806.smugmug.com/gallery/4...84491533_SfsmV
Yeah, it looks like he probably injured it. I would watch him closely during feeding time so you can be sure that's he's eating.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
haha fishy braces!

--I will try and feed them a small amount tonight and watch him.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well. ive been watching as best I can to see if he has been eating, and I saw him get a flake once and then he spat it back out (they do that alot and then re-eat it) but he didnt re-eat it like normal....
is there anything that might help him??????
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
well. ive been watching as best I can to see if he has been eating, and I saw him get a flake once and then he spat it back out (they do that alot and then re-eat it) but he didnt re-eat it like normal....
is there anything that might help him??????
Maybe try crushing up the food and softening it in water first?

Good luck with him. Injuries like that are rough because you can't really bring a rasbora to a veterinarian .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

well i went to petco tonight and got little "Jaws" (the rasboras nick name) a baby fish net so that he wouldnt be harrassed by the other fish and maybe eat. He tried to eat, and i got a closer look at his mouth and decided it was too bad to save. So I put him down. After he died - i know this might sound horrible to some pet owners - i looked at his mouth and his bottom jaw was broken right down the middle. They two sides were almost crossing. So he woudlnt have made it anyway.
im kinda sad cause i was really rooting for him. But its better than him starving to death...
RIP Jaws
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww i'm sorry he was not improving. i'm glad you put him down rather than letting him starve. his jaw must have been hurting him. you did the right thing *hugs*

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 01:20 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm very sorry .

I'm currently struggling with a similar decision with a permanently disabled platy. It can be pretty rough.

~Stephanie

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

good luck! is he eating at all? or is it a no hope like mine??
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:44 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
good luck! is he eating at all? or is it a no hope like mine??
She can still eat, her problem is different. She has a genetic disease (somewhat common in inbred fish and considering she's from PetsMart...well...yeah) that affected her swim bladder permanently so she can't really swim. Instead she kind of scoots around on her side. She CAN swim but it's really difficult for her. There isn't any chance of a full recovery at this point unless a miracle happens. Unfortunately, favoring one side ended up causing her spine to bend slightly which just adds to the problems.

Still, she's doing much better than when I got her (she was a rescue fish from a pretty neglectful owner). Her infection is gone and her scales stopped falling out (they were seriously dropping, it was bizarre).

It's been over a month since her infection healed and she still can't swim. The reason I haven't euthanized her is because she's still very alert despite her condition. She eats, explores, watches me, etc. Obviously she's not terribly active but she doesn't spend all of her time lying around or anything.

It's difficult because I can't really ask her how she feels .

I'm hoping that getting another platy to be her buddy (she's in her own special-needs tank) will help.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

aww thats so sad! I know how hard it is to decide if they are happy and feeling well or not. I usually take a few days to really make a decision, unless they are on death bed.
Do you have any pictures of her? She sounds kinda cute haha.
At least she is somewhat active, eating and watching you...
Maybe another buddy would help her be more active as long as hes not a bully.
good luck with her! at least she has someone who isnt neglecting her
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
Agreed.

Tags
pet owner