Mr. Squishy got a 20 gal! Have a quick question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Mr. Squishy got a 20 gal! Have a quick question...

I found a 20 gal for my african clawed frog Mr. Squishy Man today!
Im not going to have fish any more, so I will only be having one aquarium with 2 clawed frogs. Yup... Squishys getting a buddy! And his/her name will be TaterTot LOL
Anyway, I have a quick question. My new tank is acually a 20 tall- 24" X 12" X16"- and I know that a long is preferable, but I dont have enough room for one. Will the height on this tank be OK? Ive read that their tank should only be 12" high, but If I dont fill it all the way if would have 15 gal in it. Ive seen them kept in tanks taller than 12", but Im just wondering.... I dont that that an extra 4" on the top would make a major difference though. But I dont want him to drown cause my tanks too tall either!
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I don't know about the height of the tank - but I am very happy for Mr Squishy!

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Nah, that's fine. The reason why most caresheets suggest a maximum height is to make sure that people don't keep them in really tall tanks.

What you can do, anyways, is have plenty of rocks and decorations of differing heights. It'll help them get to the top easier (and they can also rest on ones near the top, making it convenient for them to take a breath when needed).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

I have my 2 frogs in a cycled 50 gal tank that I keep filled pretty much to the top and they are doing great. Nice name, my brother named one of my frogs Tator, but I changed it when he gave them back to me and I discovered Tator is a girl...My brother still calls her Tator though (but she's the one I call Pez).

Last edited by Dragonrain; 09-12-2009 at 11:57 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, thanks! Im SO glad that it will work... Its a really nice tank
Im planning on buying some drift wood to put in there, and some other nice decor. The tank is going to be on the main level of the house, so I have to make sure it acually looks nice! Ill try to get a tall piece of wood, so the top of it is near the top of the tank and they can sit there to hang out and breathe at the top.
Im SO excited! Im going to miss having fish, but I just dont have the time for 3 tanks right now.
Oh, and if anyone knows of some ACFs up for adoption in MN, let me know! Id rather adopt one than get one from a pet store.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds good My ACF tank sounds similar. It's got sand for substrate and driftwood, and a bunch of plants. My froggers looove to hide in the plants, though they have destroyed a couple of them.

Make sure to get a frog that's the same size as Mr.Squishy or else the smaller one could end up as a snack for the larger one! But I'm sure you already knew that, ACF's are such pigs!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Im a failure when it comes to live plants, so all mine will be plastic LOL!
And I know about the similar size thing! I want to get one that is a similar size or even a tiny bit smaller than Squishy. Im still not sure if I should get a colored one or another albino one though... Im scared that if I get another male albino, I wont be able to tell who is who! Im kinda leaning twards a colored male so they will both sing... I acually love it when they croak now! Its going to be hard to sleep without it- Squishys croaking helps drown out Smudges obnoxious noises!

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Aww yeah I like the sounds they make too! When I had Kibwe he use to sing every night. I was hoping at least one of the two I have now would be male but they both turned out to be females.

I would get another male though if you can, because if you get a girlie they will most likely lay lots of eggs, which can be a real pain to clean out of the tank.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Acually, I think it would be pretty neat to have baby ACF!
Ill probably stick to males though, because I dont think Id have time to raise babies, or clean out extra eggs. So there most likely wont be a Miss Squishy Girl!
Oh, and one more quick question- I probably wont have sand in my new tank (my mom HATES it for some reason) so I will just glue river stones to the bottom with the stuff I use to seal tanks. But I heard that just having a bare bottom or large stone substrate can mess with the cycling of a tank, because the bacteria wont have a good place to grow. I just read it somewhere, so Im not sure if its true or not, but I thought I would make sure.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yup, you're right, it's not as easy to cycle a tank with river stones. But it's definitely not impossible, either . Remember, a lot of the beneficial bacteria actually live in the filter media.

My biggest issue with using the stones is that it's a pain to clean. You can't really vacuum larger stones since the gravel vac won't be able to lift them. Food and other debris get trapped underneath the rocks and cause nitrate spikes (or worse, ammonia spikes). I always use sand or just go bare-bottom with frogs, it's way easier!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

Ok, thanks! Ill try to convince my mom to stick to sand... I love having sand in my tanks, even if its a bit of a pain. I dont really wanna have a bare bottom tank though. And Im not sure if I will have a filter in that tank, so sand is probably best so the bacteria have a place to live.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Honestly, I would REALLY consider getting a filter. Cleaning out a 20-gallon without a filter seems like a pain . Plus, you'll have double the mess with two frogs . You don't have to get an expensive one, a HOB type like an AquaClear would probably be fine.

~Stephanie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
is a little "special"

I already have several filters I can use so that isnt the problem, I just dont want to current from it to stress them out. Im pretty sure the filter I for a 20 gal is one that you can turn down the current one, so Id be using that one. Id be worried about them getting body parts sucked into it though... Clawed frogs arent exactly the brightest lil guys!
I can keep my water quality good with out a filter with one ACF, but I think I acually will need the filter if Im having 2!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

If you're worried about them getting stuck cut off a piece of pantyhose and stretch it out so it's like a net. Then just tie it around the filter intake .

~Stephanie

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

I use a filter in my tank and just minimize the current as much as possible. My frogs are both healthy and have never gotten stuck or parts sucked into the filter

Tags
20 gal tall, african clawed frog