Murder of the starfish. . . - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

Angry Murder of the starfish. . .

Tonight I was hanging out with my fiance and his friend, and these two girls his friend knows. Well we went to the beach and went for a walk. One of the girls found a starfish. . a live one. Now she's gonna take it home and let it dry out.

That just breaks my heart, even if just a star fish. It's a livign creature too. . . it's just as bad as purpously killing a cat or dog. I feel so bad for the star fish . . I wish I had of found it so I could of put it back in the water. It just pisses me off when people take something else's life for their own selfish needs. I mean she lives 5 minutes for the beach. . she can go to a surf shop and by one for a dollar or two and that one's already dead. . .

People wonder why I don't like anyone. . thank god my fiance is like me. . . I need someone who understands where I'm coming from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i completely agree. i am from south padre island, tx and there are, of course, a TON of shell shops and they all sell dried out starfish, pufferfish and seahorses (etc). i refuse to buy one! i think it's sad that they are killed for decoration.

so i know where you are coming from! you are not alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:55 AM

I know where you're coming from. I hate when people let anything that's alive die just to keep them as decoration. My boyfriend tried to let a butterfly die because it had "cool" colors. I got really mad at him and left early. I told him that if he was ever suffocating something else to death not to tell me. He reluctantly let it go the next day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

All the sea things I ever collected were found already dead on the beach. All the horseshoe crabs my aunt has hanging on her walls were found dead as well as the starfish.

Anything live we return back to the sea. It's not right to kill something just because you want to hang it up for decoration.

I used to have problems with my friend (an entomologist) killing butterflies and moths to pin up. But, for every one that he kills, he releases 40-50 of its siblings back into the wild (he raises them himself). Because of that, I don't see a problem with it since he only kills ONE. After he has that one specimen, he doesn't kill anymore. All go back into the wild. Also, he injects a special formula into the butterfly that kills it instantly--no suffocation or starvation involved.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm really glad to see that I'm not alone in this one. I love all animals. I felt so bad for the star fish that I cried. People like that just piss me off. I mean that's no different to me than people who hunt for fun. I mean if they eat the meat, it doesn't bother me as much, but to kill something as a trophy, stuff and hang it up in their house somewhere. . that's just ignorant to me.

I too have collected things from the beach, but likewise I would never collect anything that was alive.