My African clawed frog is swollen - HELP!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation My African clawed frog is swollen - PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi everyone...
I need some help with my little frog, Lola. I got her a couple of weeks ago to add to my 25 litre tank with 3 goldfish that I put in one week before. I used some 'bionitrivec' and 'aquatan' in the water before I started and the guy at the pet shop checked a sample of the water before I put anything in there and it was okay. I have a filter and gravel on the bottom and I did a water change this weekend. The guy at the shop told me to do water changes every two week, about 20% of the tank, and add the two types of drops after each change.
So, Lola was a bit freaked when she got in the tank but seemed to calm down and swam around and did her cool floating stuff. The shop told me to give her the flakes that I feed the goldfish with ('Tetra Goldfish/Animin') and I saw her eating some of it. She didn't seem so interested so I even put my hand in there (freshy washed) and she took some from me. Now, after two weeks, she's looking swollen, went really pale (almost transparent) and now she's looking darker on top and really white under her belly (since today). She's spent the last two days up at the surface and doesn't seem happy.
I'm worried that she's sick but don't know what the problem is and I'm also worried that the fish are bothering her - they peck around her and disturb her a bit.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - I feel terrible that I don't know what's wrong and can't help her!
I've attached some photos so you can see her and the tank.
1 - the tank
2/3 - Lola this morning up by the filter outlet looking decidedly puffy
4 - She's just come back down this evening looking darker but still puffy
5 - Lola one week ago looking pale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03796.jpg (71.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03783.jpg (53.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03786.jpg (54.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03792.jpg (66.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0632.jpg (61.8 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by cremonagirl; 11-22-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Okay, so while I was on these forums, Lola swam back down to the bottom and... died...
I've taken her out and done a 50% water change just in case it could have been something that might affect the fish although they seem fine.
I would still really appreciate a reply though as I would like to know where I went wrong.
Sniff...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:24 PM
is a little "special"

Aww, I'm so sorry about Lola. It looks like we've got some set-up related things to fix here.

25 L is about 6 1/2 gallons, right? (I'm in the US, so I need to see things in gallons LOL) If that's correct, your tank is way way WAY to over crowded. You bought some of the messiest aquatic creatures that you could possibly keep, so you need A LOT more room than that. I would give the gold fish a bare minimum of 15 gallons per fish, so for them alone you should really have a 40+ gallon tank. African clawed frogs need alot of room too- At least 10 gallons per frog. I have my boy alone in a 15 gallon tank, and I still have water quality issues once in a while.

Is the under gravel filter the only filter you have on there? Because that's not going to cut it for any of those animals. :/ Since they are all so messy, you need a really good filtration system. Actually, the under gravel filters are not recommended at all for ACF, because all if the vibrations from it really stresses them out.

And last but not least, she would have needed more than fish flakes to survive. Floating turtle pellets, blood worms, earth worms, wax worms, brine shrimp, crickets, and krill are some of the things can be added to their diet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for your reply...
The guy in the shop told me that I could have 3 or 4 fish in that tank (and yes - it's about 6 1/2 gallons) - just shows how much he knew... sigh... I realise now after spending the evening on aquatic forums that the diet wasn't right for Lola either. But, again, THREE different pet shops here told me that the flakes were okay. Useless... So, I won't be getting another frog for a while, unless I move the three fish into a bigger tank. Although what you're telling me is that this tank I have wouldn't be big enough even for one frog? I've also heard that frogs like company too so I suppose I would consider buying two of them if I decided to try again (although after these last few days of stress I'm not so sure I would...)
Do you think it was overcrowding and troublesome goldfish that finished the poor thing off then?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
is a little "special"

Pet store people are pretty stupid. All they care about is making a sale, not making sure their animals get the proper care.

You could probably use it for a small ACF for a little while, but you would need to upgrade. Lola might have been fine in there alone. But, you could actually keep 3 African dwarf frogs in there quite comfortably for their whole lives.

And yes, over crowding sounds like it was the culprit here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Well, there's another thing... I thought I was buying a dwarf frog but looking at the descriptions I think it was just a clawed one that I guess would have grown... Well, perhaps in the future I'll move the fish and try again with the frogs - without taking any advice from the terrible pet shop guys of course!
Thanks so much for your help...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:14 PM
is a little "special"

Yup, Lola was definitely a clawed. Pet store people tend to mix them up a lot.

And no problem. I hope you have better luck with your next froggie!

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm not weird, I'm gifted

Normally nobody says a 25-26 L aquarium is good enough to keep fish in.
It's just too hard to keep a proper balance.
Try looking at something like 50L or 60L as a minimum

/Pia

I apologized if my english is not correct
Owned by chinchillas since 1997
Breeding since 2005

<-- Check out my blog for Chinfo
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I just wanted to add that if you move/rehome the goldfish, the 6-gallon would be a fine home for a single betta fish, pair of African dwarf frogs, small group of cherry shrimp/amano shrimp, or some galaxy rasboras .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinchi View Post
Normally nobody says a 25-26 L aquarium is good enough to keep fish in.
It's just too hard to keep a proper balance.
Try looking at something like 50L or 60L as a minimum
I've been so misinformed for this whole aquarium thing... what a disaster. The fish seem to be quite happy for now but I'll look into buying a much bigger tank soon - Thanks!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I just wanted to add that if you move/rehome the goldfish, the 6-gallon would be a fine home for a single betta fish, pair of African dwarf frogs, small group of cherry shrimp/amano shrimp, or some galaxy rasboras .
I would love to try again with the frogs - although I'm so freaked out and sad by what happened to the poor little thing. I'm also wondering though whether I can get dwarf frogs here - Lola was clawed in the end and many of the pet shops here have albinos which I've heard are clawed too. It's only the dwarf ones that stay small, right? Anyway, good to know that the tank is not completely wasted if I could use it for something else...
Thanks for your suggestion!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I have no idea where you live but around here, PetCo carries them. They're pretty common in stores, you just have to look around .

Yup, the albino frogs are clawed.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM
is a little "special"

Dwarfs tend to have a much smaller build that the clawed froggies, and they don't have the obvious claws on their back feet either. Male ACFs also have dark "armpits", and dwarfs don't.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Newborn Pup

I've tried keeping them and they all dies from the same cause. I read that lack of salt in the water has something to do with it because too much water flushes into their bodies - something to do with osmosis and the skin. Try salting the water. I did this to the next frog - and it jumped out of the tank after 1 month and got attacked by my cat so I can't say if it would have lived or not... but salt the water, maybe it will help on your next go-round.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastarr View Post
I've tried keeping them and they all dies from the same cause. I read that lack of salt in the water has something to do with it because too much water flushes into their bodies - something to do with osmosis and the skin. Try salting the water. I did this to the next frog - and it jumped out of the tank after 1 month and got attacked by my cat so I can't say if it would have lived or not... but salt the water, maybe it will help on your next go-round.
Thanks bellastarr - I'd love to get another but I've actually decided not to risk it again for a while... I don't think she liked my grumpy fish much either so I'll save the frogs for a future moment when I have another tank just for them...

Tags
african clawed frog, sad, sick frog, strange behavior, swollen