My African Dwarf Frog had a yellow stomach - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

My African Dwarf Frog had a yellow stomach

One of my African Dwarf Frogs (now passed away) had a section of her torso that was a bright yellowish-gold.It was right in the middle of her torso and was a thick stripe; this seemed to appear after she passed away. Neither of my other two frogs have this...should I be concerned for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Betta Bomb

I'm sorry for your loss I was looking into getting ADF's but my betta tank is too small to keep them okay. What size tank do you have for them? What do they eat, and how often? What's the temperature of the water? and Do you filter it well or do water changes?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thank you for your condolences...My tank is two and a half gallons, I feed them fish flakes. I sink the fish flakes then put them in the same spot with the baster every morning; although my frogs like them new food suggestions would be great I haven't changed the water in a few weeks but I "clean" the tank daily by sucking up the filth with a baster then putting the water back in through a wash cloth so the water goes through and not the filth (I know, weird method). That has kept the tank very clean, but I am changing the water today. Hope this helps, thanks for helping me so that this wont happen again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Oh and I have an automatic water heater that is supposed to keep the water at 82 degrees.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Betta Bomb

I would first of all, buy meat food for the frogs. They REQUIRE bloodoworms, daphnia, maybe some pellets to meet other requirements. I found this link on how to feed them, they shouldn't be fed floating food. (http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html)

Also, a turkey baster probably isn't cleaning the water so much as it is just removing the visible dirt. Ammonia, nitrates(or nitrites) are harmful and it sounds like you're putting them back in.

With a 2.5 gal I would clean it fully once a week. That's taking everything out and washing it warm water, scrubbing them with a brush. About mid-week you want to take out some of the water pour it down the drain and re-fill the tank with de-chlorinated water. Water straight from the tap is harmful to fish and frogs.
Um, any other questions just ask! If you make these couple simple changes I'm sure your frogs will be fine!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wow, I am definitely not experienced... Thank you so much for all this info., I will definitely make these changes and I'll get some meat... Thankyou so so very much!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Betta Bomb

no prob!! We all have to start somewhere! Don't feel too bad. We learn as we go. I don't have ADF but I was doing some research. I'd love to see some pics of yours ^.^
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I would love to show you some pics of my frogs, but I don't know how to upload pics, plus I don't really have a camera to take pictures of them with....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Betta Bomb

That's okay. But for the future you can simply add the [img] code from a site like photobucket or attach them to the message via the paper clip tab.

{where do you live? I have 2 spare cameras. One just needs a new battery and charger}

Tags
african, frog, stomach, yellow