My bettas are not eating there food? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

My bettas are not eating there food?

We just got them 2 days ago, and we only put a little bit of food in there bowls, and there food is still there. I never seen this before. Any advice as of why they are doing this? I also bought the food last year, but I didn't think it would go bad. It is BettaMin Tropical Medley. Do we need to buy new food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It's perfectly normal for bettas to not eat when you first get them as they are still getting used to their new home. Sometimes they'll even go weeks without food.

It's a pellet food, right? Maybe the pellets are too big and in that case you can crush them. Also, it might be a good idea to try a different food...two I recommend are HBH Betta Bites and Hikari Betta Bio-Gold .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sasami.

On a closer look, only one fish hasn't eating his food, the other 2 have eaten most of theres.

The food is flakes. We will look into the other brands you mentioned and see if we can find it in our area. We don't like the local petstore because they sell sick animals and are very rude, but we will look on e-bay, and at walmart, or go online to petco or petsmart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePaws
Thanks Sasami.

On a closer look, only one fish hasn't eating his food, the other 2 have eaten most of theres.

The food is flakes. We will look into the other brands you mentioned and see if we can find it in our area. We don't like the local petstore because they sell sick animals and are very rude, but we will look on e-bay, and at walmart, or go online to petco or petsmart.
Both PetCo and Petsmart should have at least one of the brands mentioned .

Flakes aren't as good for bettas and most won't even eat them so that's probably the problem.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 01:21 PM

I have had Bettas for years, and I only feed the flakes. The pellets sank before the fish got to them and made the water gross fast! I had one fish live 5 years, only on flakes so I wouldnt say they are bad for them.

Id say just as with Chin food, its a personal pref!

My fish didnt eat much the first few days... I think it was them settling in as well as me switching them off the pellets the store fed them. If they continue not to eat I would try switching foods to see if it helps! Good luck!

Last edited by AmandaDi; 05-18-2006 at 01:24 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2006, 08:08 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have had so many bettas throughout the years and sometimes I have had picky ones.I only have 1 betta right now and he eats both flakes and pellets and I haven't had a problem with him eating these things.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 05:41 PM

Bettas can be picky lol so true! I have yet to have a betta that eats flakes though you guys are so lucky . HBH Betta Bites are really good though. I agree with you all that maybe a change of food will help. Good luck on your bettas and may you enjoy long wonderful days of viewing them .

Tags
hbh betta bites