My fish tanks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

My fish tanks

This is Jaws, my new betta

This is James fish tank

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

awwwwwww Christine that is toooooo cute! I just love his little home and his personalized sign...hehe!

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Mud

those are cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:08 PM

I love your betta.

What fish are in the other tank, I see tiger barbs. Is it a 10 gallon.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

30 gallon.

4 Balo Sharks
2 Mollys
2 guppys (both male)
5 Tiger Barbs
And I think thats it

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:11 PM

Never mind now that I look at it, it looks more like a 30!

It is a very nice set-up, I like the way it looks. Is that a pleco on th left side of the tank, if it is, you might want to think about getting a bigger tank, they get up to a foot in a half. Or you could bring it in and get one of the smaller vireties like the bristle nose. Your bala sharke will get to be a bout a foot too. I would bring the balas in the pleco in and get 6 cories and 2 bristle nose plecos.

Last edited by Merlin; 08-29-2006 at 05:13 PM.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:22 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Cute betta! He looks almost identical to one of mine, Valentino! The only differences are that Valentino has some red coloring on one of his fins (instead of it being completely clear) and he has less blue/purple coloring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
Never mind now that I look at it, it looks more like a 30!

It is a very nice set-up, I like the way it looks. Is that a pleco on th left side of the tank, if it is, you might want to think about getting a bigger tank, they get up to a foot in a half. Or you could bring it in and get one of the smaller vireties like the bristle nose. Your bala sharke will get to be a bout a foot too. I would bring the balas in the pleco in and get 6 cories and 2 bristle nose plecos.
I agree with swapping the pleco. They really need at least 40 gallons but most people recommend 55.

If you want something besides a bristlenose to clean the algae you can try otos. I'd get five or six. They're a bit sensitive but don't get very big and are great about cleaning algae.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM

Oh yea ottos are great. And 6 of them and 6 cories would do a wonderfull job cleaning your tank. Ottos eat the algea and cories eat the food on the bottom.

Most plecos dont really eat algea. The larger ones are actually carnivours.

The smaller ones like bristle nose, and sailfin eat vegiation like cucumbers and lettuce and only eat algea as a last resort.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

oh I have 2 plecaustomuses

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:35 PM

Do you know what kind they are.

It looks like they are the common, which grow to be about a foot and a half. People buy them thinking they will eat algea, and they dont, they are actually starving them, all they get to eat is left over food at the bottom of the tank, and they end up not living as long as the could.

Also bristle nose plecs look a lot cooler than the common and they are easy to breed. If you do get them and wanted to breed them all you would have to do is get one with a lot of bristles (male) and one with a little (female)

What I would do is take the plecs and the sharks and trade for 6 cories (make sure you get one type or else they wont school, and they should be in even numbers over 4) and 2 bristle nose plecs or 4-6 ottos.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin
Do you know what kind they are.

It looks like they are the common, which grow to be about a foot and a half. People buy them thinking they will eat algea, and they dont, they are actually starving them, all they get to eat is left over food at the bottom of the tank, and they end up not living as long as the could.

Also bristle nose plecs look a lot cooler than the common and they are easy to breed. If you do get them and wanted to breed them all you would have to do is get one with a lot of bristles (male) and one with a little (female)

What I would do is take the plecs and the sharks and trade for 6 cories (make sure you get one type or else they wont school, and they should be in even numbers over 4) and 2 bristle nose plecs or 4-6 ottos.
Actually, some different kinds of cories will school...especially if they're bought around the same time. My cories always school and I never have had more then one of the same kind .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

i get algae pellets and put in the tank and the plecs love them

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine
i get algae pellets and put in the tank and the plecs love them

Thats fine, but algea is not what most plecos eat. You more than likely have common plecos that are carnivours. They are eating the algea waffers because they dont have any thing else to eat. If you were a carivore but all there was were plants, you would probley eat the plants too. But just like your plecs, you would not be getting the proper nutrition you needed and you would have a very short life. I know I am not you, but if I was I would take the balas in the plecs and trade them asap!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Guarded by Waffles

we also give them blood worms

Christine
Mommy to:

And the rest:

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

Check out
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 07:15 PM

Okay, well it seems as though, you are not going to take the advice given to you. So go ahead and keep the plecs,and deprive them of what they need, instead of getting fish that would make your fish tank better, and that could survive the right way.

If you really want to keep your plec alive and healty than do what some people do and buy feeder fish, freeze them and put them in the tank for the plecs to eat!

Tags
bigger tank, blood worms, fish tank, tiger barbs