Photos! My fresh and Salt water fish tanks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

My fresh and Salt water fish tanks

Here are a couple pics of my tanks, The salt water tank is still a work in progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15841_102792663079278_100000456350392_69029_6867376_n.jpg (45.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 15841_102792666412611_100000456350392_69030_4345059_n.jpg (47.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 15841_102792669745944_100000456350392_69031_620890_n.jpg (45.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 17973_104770999548111_100000456350392_114000_1966748_n.jpg (43.2 KB, 24 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aquariums are awesome .

But, um, is that a panther grouper? It looks like one. They grow pretty big. The damsels will also need to be re-homed eventually, you have some aggressive species in there. I just figured I'd point it out--in freshwater aquariums you can buy random fish and possibly get lucky and have it work out. That's rarely, rarely true in marine aquariums.

(you'll also want some liverock, honestly, it makes things much easier)

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thanks for sharing.

I used to really want a marine tank,but am not really up for the "work".
Besides the freshwater tanks are becoming a hassle for me now too,as my carpal tunnel is getting worse and transferring buckets of water to fill,empty tanks is a pain (literally).

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I used to really want a marine tank,but am not really up for the "work".
Besides the freshwater tanks are becoming a hassle for me now too,as my carpal tunnel is getting worse and transferring buckets of water to fill,empty tanks is a pain (literally).
I actually find my marine aquariums to be less work once they're set up and stable. The reef tank takes some extra effort but my FOWLR tanks basically take care of themselves .

I mostly have smaller tanks, though, so it's not quite as much walking back and forth with buckets.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the tips and yes that is a panther grouper, I have since removed the damsels and put them in another salt water tank. The lion fish and grouper have actually formed a sort of friend ship one might say the grouper made a nest and they lay next to each other in it. I do have some live rock in there and as I said its still a work in progress. I also have an anemone in there as well which is doing wonderfully. List for salt water tank is as follows (big tank): Panther Grouper, Peacock Lionfish, Scorpion fish. (small tank): 4 damsels, anemone, 2 tomato clown fish. (Fresh water tank), 2 Shovel nose cat fish, corydora catfish, peacock eel, hujeta gar, and 1 Pleco

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What sizes are the saltwater tanks? I'd be mainly concerned about trying to keep such aggressive damsels together, especially when clowns are thrown in. Just make sure you do your research, moving too fast is what usually causes crashes in a marine system.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
What sizes are the saltwater tanks? I'd be mainly concerned about trying to keep such aggressive damsels together, especially when clowns are thrown in. Just make sure you do your research, moving too fast is what usually causes crashes in a marine system.
I am aware of that. The big tank is a 90 gallon and the small is a 20 gallon. As for the damsel's I haven't had any fight as of yet (I researched waaaaaaaaaay before I got any of my fish they were not a spur of the moment thing)

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Your damsels are quite young, that's why. They school together at that age. Your yellow-tail damsels will be ok (they can be nippy towards new fish but are usually easy-going) but domino damsels become very aggressive and energetic as they age (they also lose that coloring). 90-gallons isn't large enough for a full grown panther grouper, either, so just be aware of that.

Honestly, I wish pet stores/websites wouldn't constantly recommend damsels for new marine tank owners. Not only are they wild-caught but most turn aggressive as they get older .

~Stephanie

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Your damsels are quite young, that's why. They school together at that age. Your yellow-tail damsels will be ok (they can be nippy towards new fish but are usually easy-going) but domino damsels become very aggressive and energetic as they age (they also lose that coloring). 90-gallons isn't large enough for a full grown panther grouper, either, so just be aware of that.

Honestly, I wish pet stores/websites wouldn't constantly recommend damsels for new marine tank owners. Not only are they wild-caught but most turn aggressive as they get older .
Yes I know 90 is small for a full grown panther grouper. I am in the process of establishing a 250 gallon aquarium that he will have to himself apart from live rock and anemones

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 04:24 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
I actually find my marine aquariums to be less work once they're set up and stable. The reef tank takes some extra effort but my FOWLR tanks basically take care of themselves .

I mostly have smaller tanks, though, so it's not quite as much walking back and forth with buckets.
I have actually had a few people tell me that marine tanks are easier,but I dunno..guess I am just not willing to try,in case I do something wrong (yes I know...research...heh).I will just admire other people's tanks.

I love watching marine tanks.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Me too I love looking at tanks and getting new ideas

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

More pics of the freshwater tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT9852.jpg (62.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg PICT9850.jpg (64.3 KB, 1 views)

Tags
fish, fresh water, salt water