My Friends Betas - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

My Friends Betas

What about I just heard from my friend and he is fairly new for fish tanks. His three beta fish came floating all within three hours. What should he do about checking for bad things in the water. He thinks one of the visiting children may have put something in the tank but doesnt know what it is likely to be . He is very upset and new to this. He does not have a PC but getting one for Christmas maybe.

If there was just one dead I would think it faught with the others but it was all three of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

They aren't housed together, right? Because unless they were all females that would be the problem. The other problem is he most likely didn't cycle the tank before putting fish in. Unless you use Bio Spira this takes months.

In a new tank he should mostly be testing for ammonia and nitrites...both should be zero or the fish can die. If he doesn't have a water test kit he can get it tested for free at a petstore.

What size tank did he have and what kind of filter? Also, what was the temperature?

Did he dechlorinate the water? For the fish to die that fast there was definately something poisonous in the water...probably ammonia, nitrites, chlorine, or chloromines.

Here's an article about cycling an aquarium: http://www.fishforever.co.uk/cycling.html

Also, here is a link to buy Bio-Spira: http://fishstoretn.com/bio_spira.html

You shake the Bio-Spira and then add it directly to the filter cartridge or bio-wheel at the same time as adding the fish. It is the only product known to cycle a tank overnight when used correctly in a new tank. Don't let the salespeople talk him into buying Bio-Zyme and similar products because they take weeks to cycle and aren't worth it in my opinion except maybe as a supplement.

First he should change all the water and wash everything before adding new fish since there's obviously something bad in the water.

Does the tank have a top? A top may help to keep his children from adding stuff to the water.

I hope this helps!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
fish tank