Are my frogs ok? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Are my frogs ok?

I have two African Dwarf frogs and I have had them for 6 weeks. For the first time one of my frogs keeps floating at the water's surface. When I woke up this morning I found the other frog sitting in a corner just above the water. I put her back in the water, but in a few minutes she was sitting in the same corner,below the water this time, and she didn't move until i nudged her to make sure she was still alive. This behavior started today although when I got them at the pet store the worker found both of them sitting above the water. In the pet store there were other creatures in the same tank; I have only my ADFs in a 2.5 gallon tank. Is there something wrong??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Betta Bomb

I know I read somewhere that 1 gal per frog is okay but I would upgrade to a 5 gallon to give them room.
ADF are commonly resting near the surface of the water motionless. They just like to do it. Keep the container covered and don't have anything sticking out of the water for them to crawl out on. They are 100% aquatic and can die (even though she crawled out on her own). Because they can jump pretty good too.

Have you changed anything since the other one passed away?? (I remember suggesting a couple things) It could be that if you changed anything for the better they are just exhibiting their natural tendencies where they never did before.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm working on getting water fleas. I have sun-dried baby shrimp, and only one frog will try to eat it from my feeding tongs. She grabs part of the shrimp and tries to rip a piece off but nothing seems to happen. The shrimp is to big and it won't tear. I have also tried frog pellets, but my frogs don't even give them a second glance, and they also seem big compared to my frogs' mouthes....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm also going to try to go to the pet store today to get conditioning drops, because until now I've been buying a gallon of spring water to do the changes; but now that I know it's more often than I thought I am getting drops.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Betta Bomb

De-chlorinated water will be fine. Get a water conditioner for trops. Add a capful or the directions for 2.5 gallon.

If you read this before you go to the store, get some frozen bloodworms!! They're cheap and froggies love them. They sink too so you can add them to a little dish to prevent mess
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, I second the suggestion of a bigger tank, especially since it sounds like this is your first aquarium and a larger tank would be more stable .

It's true that they tend to hang out at the top of the water, often in weird poses. But actually climbing out is normally a sign that something's amiss. Since water changes have been infrequent until now, it's probably a spike in ammonia or nitrite that's causing the behavior. I'd recommend bringing a water sample to the pet store to have them test it (it'll be free). Then report back to us on your water parameters.

Foods that my ADFs loved were brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, and krill (ripped into chunks). All of those were fed frozen. Live foods they got were blackworms, earthworm chunks, fruit flies, and pinhead crickets.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I will get a 5 gallon tank, because yes this is my first aquarium; everyone has been so nice and patient helping me out so thank you very much! I'll get some blood worms, also I'm interested in trying mysis shrimp and pinhead crickets. Next time I go to the store (hopefully today) I'll take a water sample with me. Fortunately, I have not seen either frog go above the water again so hopefully that means the water isn't too bad
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Betta Bomb

That's excellent! The simplist way to control ammonia is to do more frequent water changes.
Looking forward ti hearing back!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I got some food and drops and changed the water. I have to save up a bit for a new tank. One frog is acting normal, although she isn't as active as she used to be... The other frog has stayed at the water's surface for two days straight. I have tried to bring her back down (by holding her in my hand while slowly lowering my hand to the bottom) but every time she just effortlessly floats to the top;It seems like she floats against her will. She swims at the surface sometimes and sometimes gets flipped to her belly; then she will flip over but won't go down. she usually just floats in one spot at the surface, almost looking dead... or in shock? ... Sometimes when I tried to bring her down she swam a little as she was floating up, and then stopped at the top. it really looks like she is stuck up there which also means no food. Is there some sickness that makes them float? Is something wrong with her? Or am I just worrying too much??
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Also thankyou for helping me, sorry that I keep coming back with more problems
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogert View Post
I got some food and drops and changed the water. I have to save up a bit for a new tank. One frog is acting normal, although she isn't as active as she used to be... The other frog has stayed at the water's surface for two days straight. I have tried to bring her back down (by holding her in my hand while slowly lowering my hand to the bottom) but every time she just effortlessly floats to the top;It seems like she floats against her will. She swims at the surface sometimes and sometimes gets flipped to her belly; then she will flip over but won't go down. she usually just floats in one spot at the surface, almost looking dead... or in shock? ... Sometimes when I tried to bring her down she swam a little as she was floating up, and then stopped at the top. it really looks like she is stuck up there which also means no food. Is there some sickness that makes them float? Is something wrong with her? Or am I just worrying too much??
Did you get the water tested? If so, what were your water parameters?

It's normal for them to relax by floating up at the top but the flipping over seems kind of weird. Is she bloated at all? Are you able to get her to eat by giving her food at the top (maybe with tweezers?)?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She's not bloated at all and at first she ate food at the top but now she hasn't been. I forgot to get water sample last time I went to the pet store but when i got drops i changed all the water and rinsed/wiped everything with a cloth...does that help? I am still going to get my water tested as soon as possible though.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

She died.......I went to the pet store to get the water tested but I took the water from the top so they didn't take it. My other frog is acting perfectly normal though.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm sorry for your loss .

As for the water change, the full water change you did should take care of any ammonia. Once you get a 5-gallon you'll be able to cycle it and then it will only require partial water changes.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Betta Bomb

SO sorry for your loss

Tags
concerned, floating, water