My Survivor Betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Red face My Survivor Betta

A few weeks ago I was working in the aquatics section at work when a customer came up to me and said "They're attacking him!" I turned around and realized someone (right behind my back) opened up a betta container and dumped him into the tank full of oscars. They had him cornered in the top of the tank and every single one of them were taking turns ramming and biting chunks out of him. I reached in and grabbed him then ran to the back to fill his container up with medicated water. I dropped him in there and he looked completely dead. He just floated to the top and was shaking. I put him into the large medicated fish tank and swished him through the water really fast then put him back into his little cup and hoped for the best. I went back out on the floor to take care of customers until the store closed. When we closed, I grabbed him and took him to the manager to ask her if I could have him and try to save him. She basically laughed at my concern for him but I could have cared less.

So his first few days here he just shed all his dead fins off and eventually looked nothing like the beautiful male betta he used to be.

Now he's finally starting to grow some fins back. I figured I'd make a post about him and share some pictures of his progress. Since I don't have to put him in the lizard's tank anymore at night to keep him warm, I moved him into a bigger tank with plants and rocks and stuff so I bet he's a lot happier now. If you look closely, you will notice the scars all over his body from his big scary battle.

I don't have a name for him yet.. I was thinking Scar but that reminds me of Scar on the Lion King and he was mean. If you have an idea, post it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1613.JPG (29.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1623.JPG (35.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1703.JPG (23.2 KB, 17 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live your beliefs and you can turn the world around"- Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Rocheal; 04-24-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:04 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

awe poor fishy, i hope he pulls through ok, you could name him chance? or prolly the most obvious name Lucky..

any idea who dumped him into the tank?

My Furry Family
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

name him oscar cause he conquered them! lol or clover (as in 4 leaved)

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Did you ever report the people who did that? That's sick. I'm also upset to hear your manager didn't care . Poor fishie...

Anyways, he's a cutie! I'm glad he has a good home now.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM

Oh my goshWho would do that to a fish???That's horriable that your manager didn't care too.
Thank God You saved him. He is a beauty even without all his fins. How about Warrior,Alexander,Neptune,Poseidon,or Moby Dick??
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

I'm loving all of these names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesami
Did you ever report the people who did that?
No I didn't report them because it was either done behind my back or while I was somewhere else. I have no idea who did it but I wish I did.

Thanks for all of the kind words, I'll be sure to tell him everyone thinks he's still handsome!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Awww he is lovely...glad they didnt just swallow him up!
So great he is doing okay.
Fast thinking Rocheal!

How does Guapo sound for a name? It means Handsome in spanish. I bet he will be handsome again in no time with the love and care your giving him.

Lve Never Fails

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Aww poor fishie!

He should be ok though - they really are survivors. When I got the two I have they were apsolutly ripped apart - just a few days later their fins started healing and growing back.

Good luck with him I think you should name him .... Xavier

The boy's name Xavier is pronounced ecks-ZAY-vee-er, ZAY-vee-er. It is of Spanish, Arabic and Basque origin, and its meaning is "bright; splendid"

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so glad you rescued him, its such a sad story all the names sound great...you will one day see one that matchs him perfectly...I am just so happy hes ok and he looks amazing

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Proud New Mommy

Thanks guys! It seems like his "feathers" are growing bigger each day.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I am so glad you saved him!
It really bothers me that so many people think fish are a disposable pet. I have had a few different fish that I nursed back to health. A couple were injured by my turtle one night when he went on a rampage biting the fish in his tank but not eating them (they were bought as feeder fish for him but grew too big). I asked the people at the pet store for advise and after they told me to flush them they just said to use stress coat. The fish did make it and I took them to a different pet store to be sold as pond fish.
Then Fuzzy fell out of her tank, Little Guy ripped himself to shreds on the pond return net, and Greta came with anchor worms. Everytime the one woman I work with said "flush them". I didn't listen and they are all fine. Oh except Fuzzy has ick but she is doing much better. That is why I love this site so much. People really care. And there are such knowledgeable people here that are able to help -thanks again Sasami for all the advice!
I am sure your handsome little boy will be full finned again in no time! Little Guy is.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM

so glad!

So glad you were there to rescue him!

Tags
bigger tank, fish tank, male betta, pet store