My Zebra snails - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Angry My Zebra snails

I'm a bit worried about my zebra snail. I got two the other day and one of them is fine and out of its shell clinging onto pebbles etc but the other one is right inside it's shell and has it's trapdoor up.
I read that if you tug it and it falls off and the snail falls out then it's dead so i tried that and he's clinging onto it and i can't remove it so i'm guessing he's still alive.
I just don't understand why one of them is hiding and the other one is fine and moving about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

By zebra snail do you mean a nerite snail?

He might be moving around when you're not looking and snails aren't always the most active creatures to begin with. But if you're concerned, test your water parameters. Snails are more sensitive to water quality than fish.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

No it hasn't moved an inch. He seems to have come out a tiny bit, i can actually see part of his body now and i dont think i could before. Yeah nerite snail, it just said zebra snail on the tank at the pet store.
I put weekly water cleaner in my tank but i think i will test the water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

What does this "water cleaner" consist of? Be careful using additives in a tank with snails, they can't tolerate a lot of chemicals.

Yeah, testing the water when you get new animals is a good habit to get into anyways .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The water cleaner consists of four types of natural nitrifying bacteria plus natural bacillus bacteria.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Hello Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
The water cleaner consists of four types of natural nitrifying bacteria plus natural bacillus bacteria.

Are you putting this 'cleaner' in, in place of actually changing the water (taking it out and replacing it with new water)? If so there is your problem.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
That sounds like something you'd use to cycle a new aquarium, it's not going to "clean" your water.

Since it sounds like you aren't doing water changes, there's your issue. Pick up a gravel vac at the pet store (you don't need anything fancy, a simple one for a few dollars is fine) and use that to clean your gravel. I get the vacuum started with mine by submerging the whole thing and then plugging the end that goes into the bucket with my finger. Then I pull out that end, place it in the bucket, and release my finger. You can also suck on it but that method never seemed too attractive to me .

Most aquariums should have a partial water change done at least every other week...every week being better. Usually you remove between 10% and 20% of the water (vacuuming the gravel will remove water and clean your gravel in one step). Then just replace the water you removed with fresh, dechlorinated (use something like Prime or AquaSafe) water that's about the same temperature as the tank water.

Good luck with your snails .

~Stephanie

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I do water changes every 3 weeks and i use the water cleaner weekly as thats what it says to do on the bottle.
I have a gravel vac i use the suck method lol it isn't very nice but i still do it that way. My snails do seem to be improving a bit now, they're moving around more perhaps they just needed time to settle in. I've not had snails before so i probably panicked a little lol.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm glad to hear they're ok .

Haha, try my method, you won't have to taste fish water! Someone taught me it years ago .

~Stephanie

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I've been doing it for so many years now that i don't taste fish water anymore lol. I suck it up to the point where it's almost at my mouth, then i put my finger over it and hold it into the bucket and it's enough to flow through the pipe and keep on going else i would find a different method coz it's just gross if you get dirty fish water in your mouth lol.

Tags
snail