Nano Cube - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Question Nano Cube

I was thinking of buying a "Nano Cube" in the next few months (have to save up ... Having a teeny tiny bit of money trouble @ the moment so if i'm buying something off you please give me a little longer,I'll have things straightened up soon I promise!)
& I was wondering what should I house in a Nano Cube?

Anyone with experiences with this particular aquarium?
I'm seeing 12G ones on eBay for half decent prices.I sorta want to save up for a 24G one though.That'll give me more to work with .

Any suggestions?This won't be an immediate project.I'm just looking for feedback yet.

Nano Cube on eBay

Last edited by candyraver; 06-11-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Leo

Are you talking Nano cube like as in the salt water nano cube? or fresh water?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm hoping to get a salt water one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Leo

I would read everything you can on saltwater (SW) BEFORE you even really think about jumping into it... nano cubes are actually more difficult than a 200 gallon tank as far as being diligent about checking water parameters the littlest change can nuke your tank in a matter of minutes, so you have to know how to fix it (before it happens) and you have to keep all the chemicals to fix something in case of an emergency..... it is also more difficult to keep inhabitants alive in a smaller tank than in a larger one.

I have seen beautiful SW Nano setups at my local fish store and have also been tempted to buy one, but due to time I have resisted so far (maybe once we are in FL I will get one for my art studio).

My advice, Read, read and read some more, all you can about saltwater tanks and also about SW Nano tanks, there are books out there specifically for nano tanks as well as special sections in most SW forums.

Good luck, when you get one please post pictures !!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Oooh, congrats on taking the plunge into saltwater! Welcome to the dark side .

Anyways, remember that small saltwater systems can be quite a bit of work and aren't always easy. That being said, they are very rewarding .

What you should keep depends on what kind of set-up you'd like. FO (Fish Only), FOWLR (Fish Only With Liverock), or a Reef. Either way you'll want to stock lightly. In a 12-gallon you'll only be able to keep one or two fish so keep that in mind. You may be able to add another one later but you have to really pay attention to your water parameters. In a reef it's especially important not to over-stock.

Also, not all Nano Cubes are created equally. Remember to compare filtration, lighting systems, power heads, etc. Do a lot of research.

Liveaquaria actually has a category of fish for sale that do well in Nano Reefs. So you could start there as far as deciding what species you want.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/s...fm?pCatId=2124

Edit: Oh, and check out Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Leo & Sasami
I'll definately be researching& I think I'll go with a 24Gallon.
Just for experimental sake,more room to work with.
May be in the fall before I even try to do anything
though.Saltwater seems quite costly,but very rewarding.
I'm liking the look of live rock,also reef.
I'm leaning towards fish& live rock,but nothing is set in stone at the moment =]
Thanks for the links =D

I'm still in the "research"...actual "beginning of research" stage yet.
Liked the look of the Nano Cube...have to also research that set up.
So,as mentioned,I'm just in the research stage,if I actually go ahead& start this project,I'll be posting pics,you can count on that .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Yeah, a 24-gallon would definitely be better. With saltwater it's usually a good idea to get the biggest tank you can afford/have room for.

FOWLR set-ups are a good start. And you could always turn it into a reef later on when you have more experience .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Make sure you have the $$ to be able to afford the upkeep, don't forget you will have to do weekly water changes (and maybe more with a nano) and salt isn't cheap. Not to mention some of the smallest changes in nitrate/nitrite levels and such and your whole tank could die within hours. They are beautiful tanks but also a TON of work compared to fresh. Good Luck

Tags
local fish store