Need help with my Betta - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Need help with my Betta

i bought a betta 3 nights ago for my room. my husband left the door open and the cat came in and knocked his little tank over. (i had bought one that was 1/2 gallon at the suggestion of the store clerk) thankfully my husband was home and he got Adonis (fishes name) into a bowl until i got home with a new tank (a 1.5 gallon that is heavier and i have it in a better place) but in that horrible incident his bottom fin got torn and now he wont eat. im scared he is not going to make it. is there anything i can do for his fin??? do you think he is still in shock? please any advice. thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 01:50 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i'm not sure but i know some people here can help you. me best wishes to you

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Part of the Pack

how long has he not eaten?? Ive heard of bettas being out of their tank for periods of time and doing fine.. maybe he is still in shock?? Im no expert sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by colisha View Post
i bought a betta 3 nights ago for my room. my husband left the door open and the cat came in and knocked his little tank over. (i had bought one that was 1/2 gallon at the suggestion of the store clerk) thankfully my husband was home and he got Adonis (fishes name) into a bowl until i got home with a new tank (a 1.5 gallon that is heavier and i have it in a better place) but in that horrible incident his bottom fin got torn and now he wont eat. im scared he is not going to make it. is there anything i can do for his fin??? do you think he is still in shock? please any advice. thank you!
He's probably in shock...I would turn off his tank light and keep the aquarium covered with a blanket or something for a while. Definitely buy some Melafix if you can since it'll help his fin heal. Some freshwater aquarium salt would be good (a small carton is only a couple dollars and will last forever) as it'll help prevent his injury from getting infected.

Don't worry about him not eating yet...they can easily go weeks without food.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

some salt for a betta? i think he started to eat a little today. so i think the shock thing was the answer. poor guy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by colisha View Post
some salt for a betta? i think he started to eat a little today. so i think the shock thing was the answer. poor guy.
Yes. They sell freshwater aquarium salt which is sold for fish like bettas. It can help treat and prevent infections .

(Don't make the mistake of adding it after every water change, though, as it'll defeat the purpose)

Sorry I don't have time to type a better response, it's finals time and I'm pretty swamped . I'll edit this post tomorrow if you're interested about why salt works so well.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
aquarium salt, doing fine