need to look at getting a new floating plant sugesstions please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

need to look at getting a new floating plant sugesstions please!

Hello there all I went in and cleaned out my Female betta girls tank yesterday lol and she is very grateful!! Since it is not all green now and she can actually breathe better there now...lol not to mention the Freshwater Aquarium salt I put in has perked her up quite a bit too!
Anyway I noticed that the floating plants I had in her tank had gotten literally eat by the allege and were pretty much gone...I really hate that since she loved to go up and lay in the leaves and play in the things so I am thinking I need to look into get some new hanging plants for her. For the time being I put in a plastic fishy cave which Cleo simply can't get enough of...since she has spent at least the last 14 hours inside the thing. But I want to put more in her cage so she can have more things to play with and relax on.
In the case the question does arise as to why I am looking at hanging plants and not ground ones (or just whatever they happen to be called) I can't put anything in the ground of the tank because I am using Dragon's eyes as the gravel. Its worked out very nicely actually they extremely easy to clean and I don't throw away a ton of the thing unless they get chipped which I have only found one that has done that...and even if they do go bad you can pick them up at the $1 store. The only not too great about them is you can't go plants in them like gravel...but Cleo seems like the hanging plants anyway so that she can lay in them and rest in them when she wants to. lol anyway just thought I would clarify that up in case it was asked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

There are some "ground" plants that would work, just so you know. Though they wouldn't be true ground ones you should check out java ferns and hornwort. Java ferns are tied to rocks/driftwood and hornwort is left floating but slightly weighed down.

For a great floating plant I would try water sprite . That's my personal favorite and it's extremely easy to grow. I actually have to throw out quite a bit of it right now since the petstore recently moved and doesn't have a plant tank set up (so I can't sell it).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
There are some "ground" plants that would work, just so you know. Though they wouldn't be true ground ones you should check out java ferns and hornwort. Java ferns are tied to rocks/driftwood and hornwort is left floating but slightly weighed down.

For a great floating plant I would try water sprite . That's my personal favorite and it's extremely easy to grow. I actually have to throw out quite a bit of it right now since the petstore recently moved and doesn't have a plant tank set up (so I can't sell it).
Hmm I think I might take a look at all of em since I am planning on getting a new crown tail boy soon too! if the Water Sprite is easy to grow I might just try growing it myself at home.
If you have any suggestion as to where to go get the stuff (for either of the threethat would be luvly also!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 12:54 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I usually buy my plants at petstores...the smaller, local ones especially tend to carry aquatic plants.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
I usually buy my plants at petstores...the smaller, local ones especially tend to carry aquatic plants.
yeah that is what I was thinking I just remember the last one I went to not having a great selection thought I will try looking at more of my local pet store thank you for all of your wonderful help Sasami chan!!

Tags
aquarium salt, female betta, local pet store, male betta, pet store