Neon with swollen belly - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Neon with swollen belly

Two days ago (sunday) i noticed one of my neons looking lumpy. At closer inspection it looks like there is a air pocket in his abdomen(closer to the tail than head). it looks pretty clear and see-through. he is swimming decently, looks like he wants to eat, but doesnt. He is breathing about 3 times faster than normal. still has normal color (except the area thats swollen is a little see through). He isnt schooling much with the others, although they never really do, they like to go off to their seperate areas of the tank during the day. (also the first day i noticed it he chased the other fish away when they came near him, but that night they were together and fine..)
I didnt feed them yesterday, and this morning i fed a little amount, he went up for the food but i dont think he ate any.

any idea what it is?
i tried taking a picture, but its hard to get one of a fish that size when hes moving around and hiding in plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neon1.jpg (19.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg neon2.jpg (26.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg neon3.jpg (34.6 KB, 10 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, he looks really pale, too . Is his coloration really like that? You said it was normal but it seems paler then it should be.

As much as I hate to say it, he might have Neon Tetra Disease .

Symptoms include restlessness, pale coloration, a "lumpy" body, difficulty swimming, a curved spine (at advanced stages), and bloating/secondary infections like fin rot. Infected fish will often stop schooling with the others and swim strangely.

It's caused by Pleistophora hyphessobryconis, parasitic spores. Neon tetras are usually infected when they eat or pick at a dead fish or eat live food with the disease.

There isn't a known cure yet and the fish is usually euthanized. Cleaning out the tank would be a good idea so it doesn't spread.

But we don't know it's that for sure yet! It could be an internal infection. I just wanted you to be aware of NTD since it requires quick action to prevent it from spreading.

It may easily be an internal infection...I would try Maracyn-Two first. If he doesn't show improvement maybe try Maracyn.

It's also possible he's just bloated...perhaps from over-eating or eating flakes not soaked in water. If that's the case then just fasting him should do the trick.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

yeah all i can find online is about that neon tetra thing. i cant find anything other than that, its kinda annoying haha. oh, and hes pale cause i left the lights off in the tank for a whole day. and i had just turned them on. otherwise hes pretty bright. it looks like the swelling is getting a tad bigger. im going to the local fish store tonight to get some meds for my hatchets i just got who i think have a little fin rot. so ill see what they say too. poor little neon, i feel so bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Adolescent Pup

I hope you fish gets to feeling better soon poor lil guy he's so pretty hopefullly all it is just bloating.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

He ended up having dropsy. So I euthanized him
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
He ended up having dropsy. So I euthanized him
I'm very sorry for your loss . Did you ever find out what caused it?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

no idea... all my other fish look fine and eat great and play all the time... he was a semi-new fish so maybe he already had it? dunno..
but at least the others are okay!!! I think after my neons i have now die i will not be keeping them anymore, they are not as hardy as people keep saying, ive had like 15 in the last year. and i have 2 left. yet my other fish appear healthy...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik8806 View Post
no idea... all my other fish look fine and eat great and play all the time... he was a semi-new fish so maybe he already had it? dunno..
but at least the others are okay!!! I think after my neons i have now die i will not be keeping them anymore, they are not as hardy as people keep saying, ive had like 15 in the last year. and i have 2 left. yet my other fish appear healthy...
Neon Tetras are kind of...strange. Some people have really great luck with them (myself included) and others don't. It might have something to do with the water in different areas but no one really seems sure.

Either way they are definitely not as hardy as people make them out to be.

I personally have issues keeping guppies and other people in my area have the same problem. It's really weird.

~Stephanie

Tags
fin rot, local fish store, neon tetras