Never had Bettas...need info - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Question Never had Bettas...need info

I just picked up 3 Bettas from Walmart today and I'm wondering if I can house them together. I got one male and two females. I'm not worried about them breeding as I've got plenty of little tanks/bowls to separare the males into, but I don't want to do that. What I want to know is if I can house the two females together. Will THEY fight too? I know for a fact that the males do...also, how much should they be fed if they're fed twice a day? I have the little floating pellets for them. One last question...What's the blue in the water for? I didn't get any with blue water, but I'm wondering what it's for. Is it just food dye? Some mineral? Is it to show off their colouring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 07:35 PM

i know you are not planning on it but DO NOT put the males and females together. he WILL kill them.

Females will generally not fight with each other, and may be kept in the same tank. if they do, however, become aggressive.. seperate them.

and the blue.. It could be methylene blue

Methylene is a chemical dye used as a chemotherapeudic in aquarium. It is effective for treatment of bacterial, fungal, and protozoal infections, and works as a hemoglobin transfer agent allowing the blood to carry more oxygen which is especially useful in shipping to prevent ammonia poisoning.

Last edited by VWbarnbum; 11-03-2006 at 07:38 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

So then it's fairly safe to keep females together? But I still wanna know about the water...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWbarnbum
and the blue.. It could be methylene blue

Methylene is a chemical dye used as a chemotherapeudic in aquarium. It is effective for treatment of bacterial, fungal, and protozoal infections, and works as a hemoglobin transfer agent allowing the blood to carry more oxygen which is especially useful in shipping to prevent ammonia poisoning.
The water was mentioned....my bettas had that blue water too when I got them from wal-mart.They came in cups They were in cups till they get sold...I don't like that,but apparently bettas dont last long in wal-mart,they get sold fast. Currently I have one of my males in a 5.5gal tank,the other in a 10gal & my female in a critter keeper...I want to get a third aquarium asap for her.I really don't like those betta "kits".Up until recently that is what my bettas lived in but after seeing how happy they were in a bigger habitat...never again! I have a post somewhere asking what can be companions for bettas. Sasami replied to it,she has very good info! Especially when it comes to live plants& aquariums.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I missed the last part about the water...thanks for both replies
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Like someone already posted, do NOT house males and females together. And actually, if you only have two females then I would not put them together either. In pairs of females what often happens is one will end up dominant and the other very submissive and the dominant one will beat up on the other one constantly. In the end the submissive one would die...either from injuries, stress, or lack of food. Or both might be dominant and will constantly fight to be boss...which could easily end up in one or both dying.

Generally it's recommend to have at least three females but five is a better amount. This way the aggression is spread out. And even then there might still be some fighting. Female betta tanks are tricky . Remember to have at least one hiding spot per female and plenty of plants (either live or fake). Oh, and don't bother unless you have at least a 10-gallon. Any smaller isn't enough room for 3+ girls. A 20-gallon or larger would be ideal. And be sure to introduce all of them at the same time to help prevent fighting.

As far as how much to feed that depends on the pellets. I would read the label and feed a bit less then what they recommend. It's also a good idea to skip a feeding once a week. I rotate between HBH Betta Bites and Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. They get fed twice a day getting three or four of the betta bites or two of the Hikari. Most days they get frozen foods (especially bloodworms) instead of pellets for the second feeding. Avoid feeding to many freeze-dried foods...these are just treats and don't offer much nutrition.

Let me know if you have any more questions . I've been keeping bettas for years and they are one of my favorite species .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:15 PM

yes...please dont let any of them house together... surprisingly, females can be even more aggressive then males.

also, it's a misconception that bettas can be put into bowls and not change their water because they live in rice paddies in the native.... although the rice paddies is true. it is not true they can live in tiny bowls!. rice paddies belong to a LARGE collective unit of water...bowls do not. bettas, just like any fish, gets very stress with ANY anonmia in their water...and the tiny bowls, this poison builds up too quickly!!!

you can look for stress bars on them...

ideal is at LEAST a gallon, and 100% water change can vary between bettas and how much amonia they produce. test for amonia every day, and as soon as any trace shows up, you know that water change is the day before. usually it's every 2-5 days with a gallon of water.

also, tiny bowls can not be safely heated. bettas are tropical fishes that requires temperature around 78 degrees. any cooler and they become lethargic and simply "float" there.

Trust me...add the heat and they become very energetic!!

They also like places to hide... anything will do...even a very CLEAN mug placed on its side will do...or simply get those pothos plants snip off some vines and voila....their own jungle that they can hide and play in!!

in terms of food...it's very important NOT to feed dried pellets and more importantly freeze dried!!!! it will give them bladder problems and may permently cause their glands they need to stay bouancy to be damaged.

There are tons of alternative...and when feeding tiime comes...you can literally hand feed them! Even at PetSmart, they have a "refridgerated" section with frozen blood worm, shrimp brine, etc. Blood worms are GREAT for them as Bettas are Carniverous!!! (not herbivores like those marketing and stores convey when they stick them in a vase with a plant!!!)

They only need about 2 worms a day!! And you can simply take a toothpick, hang a worm off of it...and dangle it in front of the betta!!

The other alternative...and the best and healthiest is live feeding.... Look at PetSmart...they'll have a container, usually in the reptile section, that have FFF, or flightless fruit flies. Gross I know...but pop one into the tanks...and watch the betta go wild! This is closer to their natural diet and instinct! From one of those tubes, you can make an endless supply of 'em...if you want to know how to breed them... just let me know... Theyre not that gross since they cant fly.

Also Dapnias are great too!! Theyre like water fleas... fun to watch and raise...and you should see how the bettas react! Dapnias are mostly escoskeletal (spelling) so easily digested.

Fasting them once a day a week is good for them.... It'll help them clear out their system...Feeding too much can do real harm! Fast for a day...and then give them a little piece of the inside of a pea....It's a natural laxative for fishes!

If you need more hints and tips..let me know...

I havent kept bettas in years.....but they are really awesome and filled with personality if kept properly.... water puppies if you will....
s
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 PM

also with the pellet.... try soaking two to three pellet (usually the recommended "feeding") in some water...and see how much they expand.... realized that bettas stomach is only the size of their eye ball.....

now that is why theyre so constipated...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:10 PM

CoCo Chanel, i'm interested in knowing how to breed FFF.(flightless fruit flies) could you possibly PM me?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 11:24 PM

Oh.

This is fun breeding FFF. lol It took me a few try to get it right the first time... lol

But FFF is VERY healthy for your Bettas!!! Why? Because you feed the flies, so you know what is in it.... I use baby food... what else could be better? Also theyre wings is very easily digested by the bettas...

Here's a great step by step instructions:
http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms...cle.php?aid=34

Here are some tips...

The orange juice helps with mold!!! Very important!! Just either a real orange, or homestyle orange juice!

I didnt have any bird block so i used a few coctail straws...lol

also at first...get a few cultures going...cause one is bound to crash out of inexperience techniques.... so it'll save you money!

after that you can keep it to two cultures...depending on how many mouths you have to feed.

good luck!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 AM

Thank you!! Sounds like a neat little project for me to take up...& I think my bettas will love them!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Question

Thanks for all the info, but I've got another question...

All my bettas are still separate, and I've switched foods, but I'm a little worried...when I bought them, it was for their colour. One of the females seems to have changed colour completely. She acts completely heathy otherwise, but it's very disturbing. At first, she was a brightblue/purple, and now she's...mauve...

Is she sick? what should I do? The other two seem to be prefectly healthy and are enjoying their tanks....also, are there any fish they do get along with? I thought it might be nice to add a couple of other little fish to each tank, but I don't know if it's safe or not, especially diet-wise, and I'm worried about aggression...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2006, 10:56 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble_b18
Thanks for all the info, but I've got another question...

All my bettas are still separate, and I've switched foods, but I'm a little worried...when I bought them, it was for their colour. One of the females seems to have changed colour completely. She acts completely heathy otherwise, but it's very disturbing. At first, she was a brightblue/purple, and now she's...mauve...

Is she sick? what should I do? The other two seem to be prefectly healthy and are enjoying their tanks....also, are there any fish they do get along with? I thought it might be nice to add a couple of other little fish to each tank, but I don't know if it's safe or not, especially diet-wise, and I'm worried about aggression...
It sounds like she is very stressed out. Where is she being housed? Can she see the other fish? That might be bothering her.

The first thing I thought of was temperature. Do you have a thermometer in the tank? Is it heated? Remember that bettas are tropical fish that require temperatures of at least 75 degrees. If it gets too cold they become pale and lethargic. They also may start losing their appetite, stop flaring, and may even die if it's cold enough (they go into shock).

When you switched the diet what did you switch to? I doubt that's the problem, though.

They can live with other fish but you need a large enough tank. What size aquariums do you have? I've housed a number of creatures with my bettas...frogs, shrimp, catfish, guppies, platies, tetras, etc. It all depends on temperment and tank size.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 03:23 AM
私は靖巣あなたを愛してI ♥ Yasuki

Well as everyone gave good info I don't need to, but just for you to know in the future do research the fish or pet before getting it, I got once 2 or was it 3 kissing gourami's and thought that the pet store person gave me okay info, she said the goldfish and they would be fine. THEN got them home and they after a few days started attacking my goldfish. I had to return them as they would have killed them!! I researched them and found out they are a bit agressive and the kissing was fighting! IF I did research before getting them it would have saved a lot of time, stress and money in getting them. SO before buying research first!! Research, research, research!!

// k a t ((d)) 猫ちゃん ☆~(ゝ。∂)
私は武井靖巣あなたをして

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 AM

The darker color can also be part of flaring , like the males do...at each other. In Walmart with the cups being so close, they can kinda see each other and their color will be brighter if they see each other and flare. When alone..and not able to see others..they have no reason to show as much color. Of course, severe lack of color can show illness..but most likely she's just calming down because she's not having to put up a display to other bettas.
Female bettas can be housed together, but it depends on their individual personality. I've kept up to 8 females and even a single male in a 6ft tank..but would not advise this to someone new to bettas. Some females can't be with ANY other females. With other fish, your tank size first, will dictate possibilities. Second, be careful..many fish will pick on your male betta (many tetras are a bad choice, plus tetras should be in larger schools)... Your female bettas can get along with a wider variety of fish because they don't have those long, flowing,tempting fins. Also keep in mind that some fish very similar to male bettas..color wise..may NOT work with a male betta.

Tags
blood worms, female betta, female bettas, hbh betta bites, male betta, males together, pet store, tropical fish