New 20 gallon :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Aquatic Discussion Talk about your aquariums or ponds and their occupants here!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

New 20 gallon :)

Hey everyone. I just got a 20 gallon freshwater tank all set up. I've had many fish tanks in my life, but this is the first one I've actually had the time and money to have alot of fun with!

Anyway, I know you shouldn't add too many fish at first. I'm going to the store tomorrow, I'm thinking about getting 3 bala sharks, 3 of those tiger striped fish that are shaped like minnows (I forget the name off the top of my head), and probably a couple other fish that strike my fancy when I see them. Is this is bad move? 8 fish total (3 different species) to start out with?

Also, I live in Florida, my house is kept between 70 and 80 degrees at all times. I probably don't need to use the rod heater that came with my aquarium kit, right? Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 09:57 PM

I personally would buy maybe two or three to start out with. Just to see how they fair in your tank. Then, if they do well you could probably add a couple more. JMO though.

Not sure about the heater though. I personally would keep it in there, but someone that lives in Florida may be able to help you out better.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

That seems like alot of fish to add at first. I would add one or two. Did you cycle the tank?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree you want to take it step by step at first add a few every week or so till you have the fish you want or are at your limit, if you was to get the Bala's then i wouldn't get anything else for a week or so in order to let the tank settle down again. I'd also look into fish sizes as i'm pretty sure certain species of Bala sharks get quite large and too big for a 20 gallon tank so i'd definately do your research first and also as to what species are compatible with which As for the heater i would put it in for back up just incase as you never know as even the slightest drop in temperature can effect fish so its always better to be safe than sorry

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 08:00 PM

Smile

My response is to listen to both of your other responses. I work at PetSmart in the fish department and we usually recommend that you have your tank running for 2-3 days before you put fish in the tank. Bala Sharks get 13 inches in length and they will out grow that size tank. I would recommend using stress zyme and stress coat in the tank, try some zebra danios if you want schooling fish or some bigger tetra's like black skirt tetra's. If you have any other questions I will try to help. Talk to you soon.

Monika

Tags
fish tank